RRBBO13 STYLISH TRASH

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 13 BUILD JOURNALS' started by Reallybigtim, May 1, 2018.

1. Reallybigtim

Reallybigtim

I found this wingbar frame last week at the Memory Lane Swap Meet, so the timing was perfect for entering the build-off. In my opinion, this is one of the coolest bicycle frames ever designed. I have always wanted to build one. Unfortunately, this one is has seen better days, so I thought that it would make the perfect rat. The idea will be to use almost all vintage parts with the same level of heavy patina. Just make it a cool cruiser and have fun doing it.

Attached Files:

2. G-Matt

G-Matt

Sweet thats definitely one of the all time coolest top ten frames .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Reallybigtim likes this.
  3. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Welcome to RRB. Pretty awesome to have your very first post be a freaking Wingbar!!!!!!! This should be fun.

4. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Ditto!

Reallybigtim and Bendejo420 like this.
  5. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

Killer base to start off with!

Reallybigtim and ricksterr1221 like this.
  6. Scribble

Scribble

+1:43:

Reallybigtim likes this.
  7. V8Ben

V8Ben

Awesome frame !

Reallybigtim likes this.
  8. OddJob

OddJob

Welcome to the fray! Very cool frame, love the 'keep the patina' idea as well. RaT oN~!

Reallybigtim and V8Ben like this.
  9. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Don’t get me wrong, I love to see a nice polished Silver King as much as the next guy, but I like the idea of leaving it ratty.

Maybe put some brand new (or new looking) wheelset/tires on it for contrast.

Build it up!

G-Matt, Reallybigtim, OddJob and 3 others like this.
  10. Skipton

Skipton Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!

WOW! This is going to be cool

Reallybigtim likes this.
  11. V8Ben

V8Ben

+1 Yes please, keep the patina !!! There is no other way for this frame :grin:

Reallybigtim likes this.
  12. Glen

Glen

:13: I've never seen a frame like that before... but I agree with you that's it's "one of the coolest bicycle frames ever designed". :113:

Glen.

Rust Buzzard, Reallybigtim and Chad T like this.
  13. Chad T

Chad T

Dang I need to get out to these swap meets!...nice find! Look forward to see what happens with this one.

Reallybigtim and OddJob like this.
  14. Reallybigtim

Reallybigtim

Thanks guys for all of the encouragement. I do feel fortunate to have the opportunity to build one of these bikes my way. This is what a rat rod bike is to me: Find a cool old original bike and make some subtle mods (using vintage parts) to enhance the original design and to exhibit the builder's particular style. The best way to describe my style is "vintage custom cruiser". And that is how I am building this bike. After the parts are gathered, I like to put a bike together and be riding it in a few hours (or beers, if you want to go by beer-time). Yesterday I gathered all of the parts I wanted for the initial mock-up. Some are from other projects, some ebay finds waiting for a home, and some are literally from the junk pile. I like to do early mock-ups (and rides) on my builds to make sure everything looks and works right together aesthetically. I do like using springer forks on almost all of my builds, so an original postwar Monark springer was the only logical choice for this frame. And they look incredible on the bike. Wide, stingray-style bars are another almost mandatory modification to all of my builds. They look like wings on this wingbar. Another mandatory change is using 26" rims instead of the stock 24" rims because all Silver Kings came with 24" wheels. I was digging through some parts bikes and found a prewar set of Monark triple-drop center wheels and they are 26". I had no idea that I owned these until yesterday. They are bent, rusty, and missing spokes.........perfect for this build. Other stuff includes a prewar seat that was recovered probably over 50 years ago with some kind of brown suede material over a jagged-rusty seatpan, a prewar stem that will be replaced by a correct Torrington stem (when it gets here), the appropriate Silver King skip-tooth chainring and cranks, and some very old, worn out pedals. Everything went together very quickly without any problems. DSCN0589.JPG DSCN0592.JPG DSCN0594.JPG I took it on a 3 mile ride and it performed perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the preliminary results. I have owned this frame for less than a week and now I am taking rides on it. Now I have over 3 months to modify or refine the design until it is just right. Any comments or ideas are certainly welcome. DSCN0589.JPG DSCN0592.JPG DSCN0594.JPG welcome. I enjoy sharing and discussing ideas.

ADRNLN, mongo5959, arty dave and 16 others like this.
  15. Glen

Glen

STOP!

Don't do another thing! :shake:

It looks pretty spot on to me. :nod:

Unless you have some really close fitting aluminium fenders... but even then, maybe not because they might detract from the awesome frame.

So I reckon you're done. :113:

But I'm sure you'll do some kind of refinement that will improve it somehow. I don't know how, but I'm sure you will.

Glen.

16. SSG

SSG

I would find some teardrop pedals and call it done.

tjwilson, OddJob and Reallybigtim like this.
  17. Reallybigtim

Reallybigtim

I agree that the bike does need more art deco pieces.

G-Matt likes this.
  18. Reallybigtim

Reallybigtim

The work is done. Now it's time for the fun........coming up with ideas to make it even more unique.

19. Reallybigtim

Reallybigtim

The Wingbar frame is very long, about 4 inches longer than a typical frame from that era. The added springer extends the wheelbase even further. All that length makes the larger 26" wheels still look small. I will probably try some larger size tires. It all depends on how well I can true the rear rim (with missing spokes) so the that the larger tire can clear the frame.

20. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Definition of a rat rod to me.
    Perfect, I’d ride that until I dropped.

Reallybigtim and Skipton like this.