RRBBO13 STYLISH TRASH

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Glen put it perfectly...STOP! :bigsmile:

Srsly, it looks really balanced the way it sits right now! I do have a set of aluminum fenders, nice and wide, if you are interested, send me a note in 'Conversations'.

very cool ! , a kinda agree with the fork looking on the small size compared to the frame , i would be tempted to polish some edges and embossed parts of the frame to give it slight highlight , but thats just me

Looking great so far. Love the brick red bricks on there.

Looks good, but might look better with a good old-fashioned paint job.:wink1:
old-paint-brush-rest-top-green-paint-bucket-used-65827617.jpg

Perfect patina

The Torrington stem that I previously mentioned arrived yesterday. It was probably too good for this build but I wanted the correct type of stem to go with the frame. When I tried to tighten down the bars, I heard the worst noise possible........crack! The bars were still loose when it broke.
DSCN0613.JPG
DSCN0617.JPG
I loosened the bolt and the piece fell out. You can imagine how I felt. Obviously, it had not been used in a long time and aluminum does get brittle over time. Now what do I do? I decided to try to get it to tighten down anyway. Then I realized that if I can get it to hold the bars tightly, it would be the perfect stem for this build. Let's just say that it is holding (for now). Between the stem and the broken and welded areas on the frame, it might take some extra courage to ride. Nobody ever said it was easy riding a rat.

I agree that the bike does need more art deco pieces.
I am working on getting more art deco involved. Just wait until you see the next idea. Still working out the bugs but it is one of those "think outside the box" ideas. I hope that I am able to make it work. Stay tuned.

Such a cool starting point. I think the front end looks a little “light” compared to the rest of the bike but I get the Monark connection. Rat on!
I am going for the "bare bones" look overall. But I agree that the springer looks small. Blame it on that very long frame. I am 6'2" and this is the only bike that I have built where I have to lean forward to reach the apes. My solution, aesthetically, will probably be to install Fat Franks to "bulk-up" that area.

@Glen put it perfectly...STOP! :bigsmile:

Srsly, it looks really balanced the way it sits right now! I do have a set of aluminum fenders, nice and wide, if you are interested, send me a note in 'Conversations'.
Thanks for the nice comment. I really like the balance of the frame/fork/handlebar combination. Just what I was looking for.......but that fork does look small compared to that deceivingly long frame. Plus adding the springer raised the front end an inch and lengthened the wheelbase an inch also. The wheelbase is about 5" longer than most prewar/postwar bikes but it is surprisingly maneuverable in the tight turns. As far as fenders go, I am not sure that they would fit with the 26" rims especially if I go with Fat Franks like I am (possibly) planning. Besides, all of the holes for screws have the rusty screw broken off in them. It's not easy being ratty.

I have been trying to think of a good name for this build. "Stylish Trash" was just my description of the frame initially. Any ideas???

Sorry about the stem, but they are notorious for breaking. At least it didn't happen while riding. Be careful using that thing. Typically then snap just above the collar.

How about "The Flying Rodent" for a name?

I started a bidding war on Tucson Craigslist on one of those. I lost, and I'm still kicking myself. A very cool lady named Amanda won it, so I guess I can live with my loss. That bike is rolling perfection!

Latest posts

Back