Suggestions for Spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got back from my local bike shop. They said that in order to replace the 7 missing spokes on my Special Cruiser, it would be $10 "set-up" fee and then $2 per spoke to cut and cut the grooves for the nipples! Holy of Holies!!! I can't justify that expense right now and was hoping for suggestions. I'm going to the thrift store today to see if they have any bikes with the same size spokes......ugh!! Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure what kind of spokes you are looking at there, but, if you know the length and gauge, they can be had for about .50 cents a piece + shipping of course. :wink: Later & PEACE!

I need /4 o 3/4 or 10 and 13/16, either would great where are you getting them for 50 cents apiece?? Thanks

I have been able to order them singularly in the past from Dans Comp. You will need to measure the length, however, metrically as this is just how they are sold almost anywhere. :wink:

Thanks...just what I was looking for...

I went to 2 of them first. I do support my LBS, but when they are charging $2 per spoke....well, as much as I'd like to I can't justify spending 4 times the amount I would pay online...sorry guys. Imagine if RRB didn't exist and us guys in the hinterlands had to buy everything off Screw-Bay or locally at 4 times the cost....fenders, headlilghts, hubs, etc. some of us couldn't be in this group, it would be too expensive...probably the reason why I'm here....motorcycles have gotten ridiculous, and classic cars....well hope you understand my situation...

I am building my second set of wheels. My local bike shop sold me the 1st set of spokes for (36) 40$. Not bad, but I priced out a set for the new wheels I am building and they now want 2$ each. Which I would gladly pay for just 7 spokes but not for a full set of 72 (144$). If I just needed 7 it is only 14$ and they have it now so be it. I think with shipping on line you will end up paying the same. If I under stood they are installing them too, so it is 28$ to fix a wheel missing 7 spokes!!! great price.

+1 for supporting your local shop.

I like the way you think! It makes people want to come to me for wheelbuilding! I get $ 30.00 for lacing and truing a wheel, exclusive of the spokes. Usually the stainless steel spokes complete w/nipples are around $20.00 shipped for 36. Also, I can usually get a wheel within a mm or two from being dead straight! LBS calls 1/4" good! As far as 7 spokes installed for $28.00, more like $10.00 here! But hey, I'd be happy to do it for half, all day long! Dont bag on a dude for being frugal, some of us have to work real hard for our money! And giving it away un-necessarily is just not a good option. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!

Latest posts

Back