Suggestions on cheap cruisers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as much as i want my Felt availability and funds inhibit buying one. Since i up and decided to become a 28yr old sophomore in college I want to save funds so here is my list.
OP Roller $99
Huffy Big Daddy $119
Schwinn Legacy $119

Whats any thoughts or suggestions on these makes and models. It prob will be kept stock for a little while then alittle customizing.
Thanks Jeremy

i have an OP roller. i love the lines. the quality is pretty good but i did have issues with one that had to be returned to the store but i do believe it was an error in assembly. i got another one and have no real big complaints.

I'm rockin' the Huffy Santa Fe, Pretty good bike overall. And great with an oldschool look. I get so many people that say "Hey nice '50's Schwinn"...........I just smile and say "it's better than last year's Huffy".........lol. Only things I've done to mine is a rattle can paint job and I swapped the crank for a less rusted older model and swapped the seat. All in all I got about $20-$25 in it.

P7240090.jpg

I was actually surprised to see that The Huffy Cranbrook from Walmart used oversized spokes in the wheel, a touch I wasn't expecting on a bike that sold for $75. Buy it online and have it delivered to the store and they give you a $20 store card. It's hard to beat that...

Bikes at this level are essentially considered to be toys, but you can get a degree of function from them with a little attention. When I bought one a couple of years ago, the one labeled Shwinn appeared to have a better frame, more clearance, and a stock seatpost that was big enough to reach my butt. Being newer and different models, this may have changed.
My recommendations for any bike costing less than 300 dollars new (and some that cost more :roll: ):
#1. Disassemble the moving parts and inspect for obvious damage. :|
#2. While you've got it apart, replace the toilet ring wax that passes for grease at Pacific Cycles with some real grease from the lbs or an auto parts store. :roll:
#3. Reassemble, making the bearings and chain just tight enough to remove slack, and just loose enough to avoid binding, and ride it gently 'til parts have a chance to wear in a little. :wink:
#4. As with any bike, check it before and after rides, you'll probably need to tighten or loosen something after some use. :!:

deorman said:
Bikes at this level are essentially considered to be toys, but you can get a degree of function from them with a little attention. When I bought one a couple of years ago, the one labeled Shwinn appeared to have a better frame, more clearance, and a stock seatpost that was big enough to reach my butt. Being newer and different models, this may have changed.
My recommendations for any bike costing less than 300 dollars new (and some that cost more :roll: ):
#2. While you've got it apart, replace the toilet ring wax that passes for grease at Pacific Cycles with some real grease from the lbs or an auto parts store. :roll:
#3. Reassemble, making the bearings and chain just tight enough to remove slack, and just loose enough to avoid binding, and ride it gently 'til parts have a chance to wear in a little. :wink:
#4. As with any bike, check it before and after rides, you'll probably need to tighten or loosen something after some use. :!:

Good advice, I always do that to ANY bike I get, new or old, It's surprising what good repairs the previous owner has done. I got one at a yard sale that had a busted weld that had been Bondoed over. and 2 of the rear bearing rings in the wheel were missing. They said it just needed the rear axle loosened as it had been freshly re-built and was over tightened.

Thanks for the advice guys
I just purchased a Schwinn Drifter and will pick it up in a couple hours. Sears had it normally for $199. for $149 then found a $10 off coupon. To top it off i was given about $65 in gift cards to use. So for $86 out of pocket I got my first cruiser.

deorman said:

Hear,Hear!!!!
Re-grease EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when tearing one down, I found what I thought was mouseturds.....turned out to be the "grease" they used when they built it... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Markm said:
deorman said:

Hear,Hear!!!!
Re-grease EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when tearing one down, I found what I thought was mouseturds.....turned out to be the "grease" they used when they built it... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sounds like those wal-mart technicians.

I'm on the same boat, I have to build something for my wife... I have been thinking about an old bike (or start with just an old frame) and putting newer components from a donor + springer front end and other details, but I guess its more expensive than starting up with one of these cheap bikes. I went to an LBS and was checking out the Electra cruiser 1... looks way better than the wallyworld bikes, I would just need to add the springer, flip the bars, remove decals, etc. still don't know what to do. :?:

2WheelFlyer said:
I'm on the same boat, I have to build something for my wife... I have been thinking about an old bike (or start with just an old frame) and putting newer components from a donor + springer front end and other details, but I guess its more expensive than starting up with one of these cheap bikes. I went to an LBS and was checking out the Electra cruiser 1... looks way better than the wallyworld bikes, I would just need to add the springer, flip the bars, remove decals, etc. still don't know what to do. :?:

A month or two ago, I built a cruiser for the wife. I started with an old Diamond Back Della Cruz that someone threw out because they rode it after the coaster arm had come loose, locking up the rear wheel. A set of wheels from my old Klunker project went on after I scored a cool used suspension fork from a bike collective I visited in Portland for $70. A pair of ivory Schwalbes and a sale-priced wooden rack for the back went on by the time I took this pic:
delawwill07.jpg

Since then, I've added a set of bamboo fenders I got on Ebay on clearance. Soon, I'll tear it down for a coat of sage green/gray hammertone. So far, I might have $200 in it, but I doubt it.

Latest posts

Back