Suicide Hill

Discussion in 'MY NEIGHBORHOOD' started by us56456712, Aug 18, 2016.

1. us56456712

us56456712

Lake Superior Shore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Last night our mountain bike club rode up the bluff on the opposite side of the jumps. We call it Grand View and you can see the jumps. I was an official at the 123 Annual Ski Jumping Tournament (Competition Secretary) and I have attached some video from it (training jump the day before the tournament). I have had a lot of jobs at these jumps over the years; announcer, chief of hill, chief points calculator, starter, distance marker, hill prep and setting up the hill (with distance marks, start light, speed trap etc). I used to be a jumper but retired when I was 28. I never jumped in our annual tournament as I was no good. There are a lot of bad jumpers. I am getting too old to climb up and down many times during a tournament so I sit in the judges stand and keep track of all the number and official decisions that occur during the competition. You are too busy to watch the jumps. Sometimes this video loads slow. A properly prepared jumping hill has to be very icy for consistent takeoff speeds and so you don't dig in when you land. The chief of hill and his assistants have to wear crampons when they go out on the landing to repair divots from a crash.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. emfife

emfife

All I can say is DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE !!!!

3. us56456712

us56456712

Lake Superior Shore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

emfife likes this.