Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...if a guy is already collecting parts for a build (for example, I dunno, say a Strato Flyer) but hasn’t actually done anything to the bike, would it be eligible for the build off?

Axing for a friend...

Of course, many guys used to start planning their build and collecting parts a year in advance. You gotta have a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, many guys used to start planning their build and collecting parts a year in advance. You gotta have a plan.

I always have parts, but I rarely have a plan. :D Just do what the parts tell me to do.

jakeshirt.jpg

Ok cool! I started a thread yesterday for my StRATo Flyer build, but I haven’t touched the bike yet. I was actually going to start on it this weekend, but I’ll hold off and fool with my Schwinn or maybe my Rat Pilot’s, leaner meaner brother, Rod Pilot. I’ve been banging the idea around quite a while of building a muscle bike out a CWC Pilot frame I’ve had laying around forever.

So...
Yes we're gonna kickoff on May 1st?
And...
Two classes, traditional and unlimited?
Same rules as last year?
I'm in.

Carl.
(I might even have a build in each class)

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

I started collecting parts for this build off about a month ago. I've got two frames, rear wheels and tires, tubing, rod, and bearings for a trike conversion. Unfortunately I need some frame parts that I don't know if I'll be able to find with the lockdown. I hope I find what I need as I'm looking forward to this build. I just reached out to the local used bike supply to see if they are still open, I've got my fingers crossed.

So...
Yes we're gonna kickoff on May 1st?
And...
Two classes, traditional and unlimited?
Same rules as last year?
I'm in.

Carl.
(I might even have a build in each class)

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan to me. :happy:

I started collecting parts for this build off about a month ago. ...
I started collecting parts for this build off about ten years ago. Just didn't know they were for this build-off until now. :grin:

I have several bikes that are rideable that I’d like to possibly use to do a makeover. They all started as frame finds initially and I added parts to get them somewhat roadworthy. It could involve tearing down, servicing drivetrains, paint/powder coat, change out of parts, fabrication modifications to add on parts. None of previous Summer build off projects were rideable when I started them so I’m not sure if my BO #15 thought process fits the rules.
The “cannot have started before May 1, 2020“ rule is my concern. My first thought is that I’d like to use the bike platform from the March 2020 BO and blend in my David Bradley hoods.
Input welcomed...yah or nay...or no way.

(guess I missed some previous posts before I did this one)

Last edited:
I might enter this year. It depends on how things are progressing here. I've been painting in the shop and wiring in a whole new lighting system. Between that, and customer responsibilities, I'm getting pretty busy despite the pandemic quarantine.

I have several bikes that are rideable that I’d like to possibly use to do a makeover. They all started as frame finds initially and I added parts to get them somewhat roadworthy. It could involve tearing down, servicing drivetrains, paint/powder coat, change out of parts, fabrication modifications to add on parts. None of previous Summer build off projects were rideable when I started them so I’m not sure if my BO #15 thought process fits the rules.
The “cannot have started before May 1, 2020“ rule is my concern. My first thought is that I’d like to use the bike platform from the March 2020 BO and blend in my David Bradley hoods.
Input welcomed...yah or nay...or no way.

(guess I missed some previous posts before I did this one)
I was gonna write, "Are ya workin' on it right now?" :crazy:
But then I thought about it some and it is kind of a continuation of a build you started in March. Now I suppose you could tear it all apart again... after the start date. I would like to see a Bradley hood on a bike. I live in the town that was named after the original David Bradley factory that was here.

Carl.

But then I thought about it some and it is kind of a continuation of a build you started in March. Now I suppose you could tear it all apart again... after the start date. I would like to see a Bradley hood on a bike. I live in the town that was named after the original David Bradley factory that was here.

Carl.
I put a David Bradley hood on a soapbox racer, but not sure how I would work one into a bike. Interested to see how it shakes out.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Would we be breaking any of the rules if we get a jump on peripheral things like building wheels , stripping paint or rust , building seats ect. ?
Hey man, do what you want with your parts, and THEN decide if they'll work for a FUTURE build.;)
I pretty much feel like this in all walks of like...
If you have to ask if it's allowed, then the answer is probably no.
But like MT said, It's just parts man...
So how's your conscience feel about it?

Carl.

Carl.

It’s (the AMF Hawthorne) tucked away in the garage storage at present along with the hoods. I have another Higgins frame set I could use but I like the straight bar frame geometry of the Hawthorne.
No work going on with anything here, just moving stuff around clearing up some workspace. A bunch of short rides on various bikes and pumping up tires is about as good as it gets.
Based on previous posts up the thread I’m assuming my steering wheel bike platform would qualify. I always get carried away with the doodads and details so if I can get a David Bradley hood or two to cooperate, I should be good. Might even be shiny paint involved in place of the existing rust. Here is a David Bradley hood in its natural environment.
1cc980b600e87a27141516824690210b.jpg

My hoods are on the rusty side of things.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back