Surf Patrol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is my first build-off and I know it's gonna be fun! The concept I have is building a bike that looks tough and is designed to head out early in the A.M. to the beach to check the surf to see if the waves will be decent enough for surfing. It needs to look like a survivor, but have the parts that would work in a beach setting. I'm starting with a 26" 1962 Schwinn Typhoon. I thought the name Typhoon would go nicely with Surf Patrol. The bike should be comfortable enough, but command a presence. We'll see how far we get! I picked this bike up a couple of months ago, but have not touched it since.

shaka2.jpg

Cool, a great frame to start with.

So this is my first build-off and I know it's gonna be fun! The concept I have is building a bike that looks tough and is designed to head out early in the A.M. to the beach to check the surf to see if the waves will be decent enough for surfing. It needs to look like a survivor, but have the parts that would work in a beach setting. I'm starting with a 26" 1962 Schwinn Typhoon. I thought the name Typhoon would go nicely with Surf Patrol. The bike should be comfortable enough, but command a presence. We'll see how far we get! I picked this bike up a couple of months ago, but have not touched it since.

Got a new one of these for my 9th birthday, the 1965 version of the Typhoon, same colors all around. Thanks for rekindling the memory.....Looking forward to your build!

Thanks for the support on the 'Surf Patrol' theme!

Got the Typhoon up on the stand to give it the once over. Very dirty, but looks good overall.

You can barely see the red band Bendix Brake

Simple Green is my friend. Cleaning the headset up to start.

[/URL]

Bottom Bracket cleaned up nicely.

Got this crusty Sidewinder fork. It should clean up some, but still show its age as a true Surf Patrol bike would having been exposed to the wind, salt, and sun.

[/URL]

Going with Made in the USA Wald bars and slant stem

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Still not sure on which grips to use. Leaning more towards the black pair

I agree that bike is in great shape.
Cool stem.

Very nice bike. It's still in great shape too. It's cool to have two surf inspired builds going on.

Definitely in good shape,looks like it may end up with a klunker vibe.
I don't surf much being in Ohio, but the surfer bikes have gotten my attention.

Definitely in good shape,looks like it may end up with a klunker vibe.
I don't surf much being in Ohio, but the surfer bikes have gotten my attention.
I'm originally from Michigan and we have a pretty big surf scene in Grand Haven. Big waves, no sharks!! Plus the cold Lake Michigan temps got me used to the cold waters of San Diego when I moved there. :cool: Now I have the bath water temps of the Gulf Of Mexico to play in.

Throw some wheels on this one already!!!

Latest posts

Back