"Swap" meet find.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the swap meet today to try to get some parts. It is more like a bike workshop really where they fix old bikes (with used parts stripped from donated bikes) and sell them for real cheap. It all really depends on who I am dealing with there, sometimes there is this foreign guy who doesn't speak the language well and sometimes I get great parts for real cheap (like 1 or 2 Euro) - when I see them and can point them to him. Unfortunately when I look for something particular he has troubles understanding what I need. But that actually makes my visits there more exciting. But it is not like other guys bringing parts to swap with you or for sale or like that.
This bike hangs on the wall there and it has the sweetest front light EVER!
20190508_114920.jpg

I gotta get a better pic next time, I zoomed on the front light, but I see it also has some wing nuts for the achsles, it has wild luggage rack, Weinmann brakes etc. It is a really appealing old bike, but not for sale.
So they didn't have the mtb crank I needed, but instead there was a sweet Holland bike for 25 $ (Euro, actually). I had bought a bike there for 20 Euros, rode it a while, but it was pretty bad to ride for numerous reasons... I rode it a few times before I butchered it for its pretty vintage parts and for the fork. So you understand most of the bikes there are more or less rolling part piles which really aren't worth more than the tires and wheels and the possibility to not have to walk.
So imagine my surprise when I saw this Holland bike there with a price tag of 25:
20190508_124052.jpg
20190508_124138.jpg

I just couldn't resist and bought it. It has one speed only, but I rode it the 5 miles home with no trouble at all, due to the design, which allows for a really efficient pedaling.
It has a nice vintage-style stand and an interesting chainguard:
20190508_124202.jpg

The chainguard actually consists of a metal frame with a vinil cover on it:
20190508_124713.jpg

The rack is just industrial:
20190508_124352.jpg

I will remove this frame lock, since it is not functioning, but might keep the skirt guards.
Nice slim rear light:
20190508_124419.jpg

The fenders are in pretty good condition too, the front fender even has a nose piece and the fork has an integrated dynamo holder (the dynamo is not good, doesn't have a on/off position lever, but I have a better one that has a lever):
20190508_124540.jpg

Seatstays are bolted on:
20190508_124635.jpg

"Theo's tweewielershop" (twowheeler shop) it says on the chainstays, which is funny, because my name IS matter of fact Theodor:
20190508_124720.jpg

Headbadge:
20190508_124801.jpg

The headlight needs some refreshing, but I suspect it is plastic under that chrome, it just feels fragile and flexy:
20190508_124917.jpg

The wheels are just awesome, the rims are ribbed:
20190508_124826.jpg

The bicycle has VREDESTEIN Classic tires (made in Holland) in very good condition.
I have another side pull Weinmann brake left I can install because this bicycle doesn't have a front brake.
Now I originally thought of taking it just as a donor, but the more I look at it and its details the more I like it. It also rode nicely. So I am not sure what do with it. It is very big! The handlebars were too close to me, and seat was too high so mounting and dismounting is quite the adventure, I was afraid I will get impaled on the handlebars. I am also used to more gears than just the one... The rims are 32mm wide, and with those ribs I like them so much I think it would be worth it to relace another hub in the rims instead of just using other wheelset.
I will have another closer look at it. I will try to tailor it to my physique and ride it around, cause I really like it. If I can't make it work for me I will strip it off its parts, I could use a lot for my 28" cruiser. But I think I can drop the seat at least two inches, play with the seat clamp, I also have seats with lower profile... I think those habdlebars can go down and a little further, maybe a different stem and bars, we'll see.

Last edited:
Enter it in the BO#14, rebuild it into a personal rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see much potential in this frame, the lines are not very appealing to me. I mean it is ok for what it is, it is a Holland bike after all, with its distinctive shape. But as a base for a build, especially for a build off? I don't know.
But You got me thinking!

Latest posts

Back