Swing Bike Gallery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my swingbike. 5 speed, wheelie bar... Hold on tight... Its a scary ride!

1zovm2f.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Here is my No-Weld Swing bike. It was the second bike I built, back before I bought a welder. You can lock the seat post clamp and ride it solid or loosen it up and swing away.

01swing.jpg

so AWESOME!

Not a proper swing bike as such, just a folding bike, brand is an 'Eska'

P1020712.jpg

People flip out at you when seeing you ride along all out of wack

Peatbog said:
I noticed some of the swing bikes have the rear pivot angled forward while some have the rear pivot angled back (similar to the head tube angle). Does anyone know if one type is more stable than the other?
Nah, Hoeha's bike is just cooler. :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
I noticed some of the swing bikes have the rear pivot angled forward while some have the rear pivot angled back (similar to the head tube angle). Does anyone know if one type is more stable than the other?

It is kind-of weird. They both handle better than the other. The bikes that have more of a rear fork handle better with the rear steer tube angled toward the rear axle while the bikes with the steer tube more in the middle of the bike handle better with the tube angled more toward the crank. Both setups allow the weight of the rider and the geometry of the bike to sort-of self center. I prefer the rear fork style frames because they are easier to wheelie. Both styles handle well, just differently.

Hi everyone !
here's my swingbike bikebuilder sold me some time ago
few modifications, white tire at the back, small wheel at the front
my next step will be to add a blue slick grasshopper and repaint the bike in blue
i'll add a glitter blue banana seat and somme accessories

here's the bike now:

nicolas

bikebuilder said:
Peatbog said:

It is kind-of weird. They both handle better than the other. The bikes that have more of a rear fork handle better with the rear steer tube angled toward the rear axle while the bikes with the steer tube more in the middle of the bike handle better with the tube angled more toward the crank. Both setups allow the weight of the rider and the geometry of the bike to sort-of self center. I prefer the rear fork style frames because they are easier to wheelie. Both styles handle well, just differently.

The placement of the pivot in relation to the rear hub isn't important like bikebuilder says The further back you get the seat and your body weight the easier it is to wheelie... however the angle of the rear pivot is very important and dictates to some degree what the bike will be able to do. The original swing bikes with the rear pivot tipped forward actually tip the seat and handlebars together when you swing the front end out. The rear facing pivot (parallel to the front steer tube) almost tips the seat and bars away from each other. As far as handling goes... the rear facing pivot is great for cruising and carving turns. It feels like your on skis carving from edge to edge! The forward facing pivot gives me much more control for tricks. It's all personal preference but try out both they are both really fun and eye catching.

bigblockthing said:
my second attempt

100_3820.jpg

Nice Swing bike, but I see a problem. Yours like mine will bend at the top of the back head set. You need a brace to prevent to bending back to the seat post. I put a stem in the head tube and another around the seat post, twisting them 90* from each other. Ive remodded 2 of mine and they work fine. Will take a pic of what I did in a bit.

"pvwacko" wrote The placement of the pivot in relation to the rear hub isn't important like bikebuilder says

Technically it is the position of the rear steer tube in relation to the frame and crank that is important; not the rear hub.

I don't want to pick a fight, but I have experimented with this. I experimented with one with the steer tube in the middle facing forward. It handled like crap. Putting pressure on the pedals would cause the crank to push out to the sides and toward the ground. I also tried one with the rear steer tube above the rear wheel tipped back parallel to the front steer tube. The pedals and crank flopped side to side and the pressure from pedaling would only add to the side to side flop as you would push on one side and then the other. Just holding these two reversed designs I tried upright you could feel the bikes were unstable.

If this doesn't make sense to you, go ahead and try it. It is at least entertaining. I am only trying to prevent headache and frustration.

Mine are at 71* laid back if that helps. Both the same angle.

Yes, sinner, yours would handle fine.

If you hold on to the handle bars with one hand and the seat with the other, twisting the seat side to side, your pedals should swing with the seat and at the same time rise. This is what I am trying to explain with the different angles. If you have have a middle head tube pointed toward the rear you will get the opposite effect. The same goes for having a rear head tube parallel to the front. your pedals will fall as you swing side to side. You want the pedals to rise when leaning or turning to maintain your ground clearance. Otherwise you will end up on the ground tied up in a pile of bike parts.

I think this thread is supposed to be a gallery thread, not a discussion. Can we move the comments to another thread? Maybe a swingbike geometry thread.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back