Swingbike Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Swingbike

Thanks Troy for the genius yet simple way to fix this problem. Now I just need to get some time with the welder.
Pat

I made a little progress on this bike today. The front wheel finally came in today and it fits :D
I got the tire mounted and installed.
I also recently added a NOS set of yellow mushroom grips.
Hopefully I will get with the welder this weekend to get the tubing welded up and the seatpost made then I will finally be able to wrap up this bike.
Here are a few updated pictures.

I even found a yellow dot brake lever in my stash of parts.

Wow, you are doing a really good job on this.

I had never even heard of a swing bike until joining RRB... now I think I want one :p

looking great!!!!!!!!! keep it up :D

Troy

TGIF!!! That is Thank God It Fits!!!
I finally got my new head tube welded...and it fits!
Now it is ready to strip, repaint then reassemble and I will finally be finished. I do still need to make the seat post but that will be quite simple.
Here are some more pics.

You got guts building a bike on white carpet!!!!
Looking sharp!!

I have a tarp I build on. Its just on the carpet for the photo shoot. There is less clutter on the carpet...well a little less anyway.
What takes guts is using paint stripper while wearing shorts and short sleeves. That stuff really burns. :D

nice repair!!! another thing that hurts is wire wheels with no gloves :lol:

Troy

After several layers of paint stripper and hours of sanding I finally got the lower triangle in primer.
I also got all the yellow over spray off my Talon :oops:

Now I need a nice rainy day to add some yellow paint. I like to paint during the rain because it keeps bugs, dandelion seeds, cotton wood seeds and dust off the wet paint. Plus I think the high humidity helps the paint from drying too quickly causing over spray.

So I finally got to work a little on this pain in the butt bike project this past week. I had a few more problems. Go figure.
First I shot a coat of yellow paint to the lower triangle. Everything went fine until I added another coat three hours later. Yes I read the can where it says to apply a second coat within an hour or after 48 hours. Well I didn't have 48 hours and I am a very impatient person so I shot it after three hours. The can DID say higher temps and humidity would increase drying time...so with the high heat and high humidity I should be fine... Wrong! The darn paint wrinkled. Now I had to wait 48 hours to sand out the wrinkles so I can try again at a later date.
Meanwhile I am impatiently waiting for my days off...Sunday and Monday to add paint. I decided to work on the seat post.
Of course my cheap made in China junk P.O.S. tubing cutter failed so I had to fix it the only way I know how :lol:
Then while I was grinding with my Dremel it decided to crap out on me. The motor runs but the shaft quit turning. After a quick disassemble I found the problem. Some moron engineer designed a connector out of some soft plastic like junk. Of course I don't have anything to fix it so I had to get on amazon to order the correct replacement part. It will be here sometime next week. Yippee! I just love waiting. Of course I could have it shipped quicker but I'm too cheap for that.
So here are some pictures.
Hopefully someday soon I will be able to get this bike done. I am running out of time and I don't think there is anything else to break or go wrong...key phrase there was I don't think.
Wish me luck :wink:

The part I ordered for the dremel Friday morning came in today. Thanks Amazon and USPS!
I also got the lower frame painted. It turned out pretty nice. I am happy with it. Now I just need to wait for it to dry then I can finally start putting this together.

Hey man hows it going? got any new pics?

Troy

Well I thought the last layer of paint looked good but I found a couple little runs. There was light overspray in a couple areas so I decided to give it another coat of paint. Well the darn paint wrinkled. I spent about 6 hours sanding out the wrinkles then waiting for the paint to get past the 48 hour time frame so I could paint it again. Well wouldn't you know it the darn paint wrinkled again.
So tomorrow after work I am going to strip it back to bare metal then start all over. I really hate to do this because it takes several layers of paint to fill in the machine marks on the metal. I plan on building the layers with primer then adding a few top coats of yellow. Hopefully there will be no more issues.
I think part of the problem with the paint wrinkling may have been that the bike is stored indoors where the temp is 76. I take it out into the garage where the temp is 90+ so maybe the frame is sweating. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to wrinkle.
Wish me luck because I am running out of time. I go in for a hernia operation on the 22nd so I gotta get this thing painted this Sunday then put it all back together next week sometime.
I still have to get my seatpost welded. I plan on doing that Tuesday which is my next day off.

your temp theary sounds right if you live in a high humidy area. after your frame has sat out in the heat for a while you might also try wiping it with lacker thinner in case the heat is bringing out any oils in the metal. this thing is looking cool and am really excited to see it done :!:

Troy

Workin on this bike today. Trying to get it done but there's a higher power trying like heck to keep me from getting it finished.
I stripped the lower frame back to bare metal last night. No problems there. I picked up another can of $20 ppg etching primer this morning.
Went to move the truck out to the street so I could get the cars out of the garage to paint when the truck decided it didn't want to move. Hopefully it's the brakes but that doesn't make sense cause the parking brake hasn't been set in at least 16 years. Maybe the tranny? I sure hope not. I did get the rear tire to spin a little but something was making an awful noise. Now the truck is blocking the sidewalk so I gotta work on it later.
Back to the bike. The frame is in primer but its been fighting me. I bumped the can into the wet primer then while wet sanding that out I did more damage. I need a beer or a shot of heroine or something ;)
So now I have all the problems sanded out. Getting ready to kill a fly then add some yellow.
Wish me luck it's do or die time.

pkh1974 said:
Workin on this bike today. Trying to get it done but there's a higher power trying like h*** to keep me from getting it finished.
I stripped the lower frame back to bare metal last night. No problems there. I picked up another can of $20 ppg etching primer this morning.
Went to move the truck out to the street so I could get the cars out of the garage to paint when the truck decided it didn't want to move. Hopefully it's the brakes but that doesn't make sense cause the parking brake hasn't been set in at least 16 years. Maybe the tranny? I sure hope not. I did get the rear tire to spin a little but something was making an awful noise. Now the truck is blocking the sidewalk so I gotta work on it later.
Back to the bike. The frame is in primer but its been fighting me. I bumped the can into the wet primer then while wet sanding that out I did more damage. I need a beer or a shot of heroine or something ;)
So now I have all the problems sanded out. Getting ready to kill a fly then add some yellow.
Wish me luck it's do or die time.
Good Luck :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: remember tequila is always there for you :roll:

Troy

Thanks!
I have two coats of yellow on now. Of course the can started spitting on me so I had to stop in the middle of the second coat to run down to menards to buy cans number 6 & 7 I got coat number two to look pretty good so hopefully two more coats and I will be done. Then it's time to tackle the brake problem on the truck.

I finally got this bike frame painted. It turned out pretty good except the darn paint cans kept spitting paint on the bike. I bought two cans and they both do the same thing. Oh well I'm done. There are a couple little places where the paint spit on the bike frame but I can live with that. It looks nice and shiny with no runs or wrinkles or major overs pray. What overs pray I do have will buff out at a future date. Now I can get this bike put back together and moved to the finished section. That is if I don't run into any other problems.
I took a look at my truck. The wheels turn freely which means the problem is in the transmission or transfer case. That really sucks. Brakes are much easier and cheaper than drive train problems.
Stripped

Final coat of John Deer Yellow

Latest posts

Back