Tall Bikes,lets see'em!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got it done in time for Autorama. At least the first stage.

2010detroitautorama144.jpg

2010detroitautorama143.jpg

I'll get some ride pics hopefully tomorrow. I realized today while moving it that because of the way that the chain runs .... there's NO brakes!
I think it's because the chain only wraps around about a third of the rear sprocket and doesn't give enough to engage the coaster brake. The brake itself worked fine before the build. But I could be wrong.

Chainsaw said:
2010detroitautorama143.jpg

I realized today while moving it that because of the way that the chain runs .... there's NO brakes!

AMAZING! i saw the bottom half of it in the backround of a pic in a different thread. i wanted to ask if they had any pics of the tall bike but didnt want to curve ball the topic. thats gotta be wild up there with a steering wheel. i like your frame design with the curved top seat stays and how they run nice and parallel with the head tube. ive wanted to run a triangle chain drive for a while because i have this swirly hypnotizer thing you look into and i wanted to put it on the bottom sprocket buuuuuut...i like my brakes :lol:. thanks for the heads up and sweet tb!

Thanks guys, I hope to get some riding pics later today and hopefully a video. Gigs has a girlie party tonight so hopefully she can take the pics before she leaves. I've got a few other pics of it from the show over on FBN. I don't know why but some of the pics are blurry, sorry. There's also a little more details about the bike's next phase over on FBN. I'll try to start a new thread as the updates take place. The finished version will be going back to Detroit's Autorama 2011.

Nothing new as far as the next phase of this beast, but I did try to make the critter rideable. As it turns out the rear hub is screwy, so I don't think the chain set up is what cause the fixie-ish things. I tried to mount it several times as you'll see in the pics. But the bike just didn't cooperate. Mainly it was that back wheel/hub that made it scary as H_ _L! At first I didn't notice the hub too much and was willing to go brakeless, but then the more it rolled and the more I leaned it, the more the hub got goofy. Weird but at least the bike kept me safe. I plan on getting the right wheels on it in the next couple of weeks and then LOOK OUT WORLD!
Here's the pics ....

tallride085a.jpg

tallride086a.jpg

tallride087a.jpg

tallride088a.jpg

As you can see it was a family event! Everyone wanted to see the crash and burn! :lol:

Chainey, your bike's looking real good.

I've done that ladder thing before.
TheShadow-37.jpg

Truth is that when I returned to the ladder I nearly missed it only to have the whole thing tip over. I nearly got the dang thing crammed................. :shock:
Should of had some one hold the ladder like you did.

Gl

Yeah I get away with it! The company has allowed me to do it for years. They realize that I'm over there alot and I keep the others in check. When I first moved in they had a theft going on. I told them who I thought was stealing stuff and a few weeks later everything was recovered! Everyone loves having me there. Most get a kick outta my "contraptions". I've even scored a few bikes out of it!
We use to do strongman training outta one of the units. people got a little scared seeing guys chugged around weighted beer kegs or the 800 lb. yoke! Those were some great times though!

im so stoked i found i dude in a neiboring town that will weld my tall bike together! today! will post pics up soon! tall bikes are the S*%t :)

aka_locojoe said:
Using the snow bank as your safety net? The geometry of that bike looks great.
The rear hub slips on mine. Makes your heart skip a beat.
Thanks Randy. i like the way it turned out. Now I just gotta get some good wheels and courage! Mostly courage! Things are real hectic right now so it may be awhile before we get ride pics. Once I get my initial ride time on it, I'd like to accessorize.

poorhotrodboy said:
here is my progress on my tall bike i started last weekend. what do ya think?

wheelie machine!! keep us posted on how you like those apes.
i had some on mine and it was funny.

Latest posts

Back