Tall Bikes,lets see'em!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100_7137.jpg

I guess this is kind of a tall bike

100_6135.jpg

bikejunkie said:
haha BG what is that a 20' chain!!??Looks cool.I have no idea how your gonna transport that thing though!!

I would have to put it on a trailer to move it if I wasn't riding it, I rode it the store a while back and I parked it in the parking lot because that was the only place it would fit. :lol:

I really like the Penny Faroutthing. Makes me want one. Maybe I'd try that with a twenty inch 5 speed rear wheel I have and a 26" front wheel. Kinda sorta like Graylock"s Shadow but a little smaller, maybe call it the Shade :lol: I'm still liking that tall three wheeler. I'm also thinking I don't have enough tallbikes! :|

GL

:lol: at least you cant fall over.

stretch said:
:lol: at least you cant fall over.

When I first built it I was riding it around a parking lot and took a corner too fast and the bike got up on 2 wheels and started to fall over so I had to ditch it mid air 12' above the asphalt.

so its just slightly unstable. :shock:

I've been contemplating a talltrike but I've always felt that the third wheel could give you just enough of a secure feeling to let you forget that you're up so high. Trikes of any size require a whole nother riding style. I've flipped my Pixie sidehack more times that I can remember, so I can only imagine how a 10 foot fall might feel!
With that said ... eventually there will be a tall trike in my stable! A regular tallbike will be coming VERY soon! :mrgreen:
This thread is one that deserves to be kept alive!

This may qualify, it's tall enough to send an old guy to the emergency room!

2rdz0pi.jpg

Chainsaw said:
This thread is one that deserves to be kept alive!
I feel the same way Chainsaw. I remember a quote from The Wind in the Willows where Ratty expressed his sentiment....." There is nothing----absolutely nothing-----half so much worth doing as simply messing about on tallbikes. 8) " This in turn led to Mr. Toad's self-destructive obsession. Fortunately Mr. Toad turned to car theft, saving the tallbikes good name. ( little know tallbike fact) :p .
I'm looking to make a few more this summer so that my friends and I can harrass normal thinking bikers :shock: . I have the frames set aside for this occasion.

GL

Man I think these pics were taken a few months ago. Whatever, here is a tall bike some friends have been building. Based on the Surly Crosscheck geometry, and has a Surly fork(not in pics). It is going to have 700c wheels with some touring style treads. A rear rack and pannier. The cockpit will have riser bars and gripshift controls. I will try to post some finished pics but who knows how long that will take.

Boss

19870_1214640241566_1095616389_2401626_7200283_n.jpg

19870_1214640281567_1095616389_2401627_2921500_n.jpg

19870_1214640361569_1095616389_2401629_4817538_n.jpg

Some of you may have noticed that my build off bike (Stretch vs. Chainsaw) has been going kinda slow. Well I also have a bike that I've got to get done for Detroit's Autorama. I finally got all the frames needed, so I've been able to get it started. I want to post the beginnings and then when finished, I'll post the end result. I weigh approximately 270 lbs. and my butt (the top tube) will be about 6 feet in the air, so it was only natural that the bike would be named .... ONE BAD IDEA!
Pictures are not the greatest, my camera doesn't like being in the cold all day.

Started with this old mountain bike frame. It was a friend of mines bike. A few years ago he told me to do what I want with it, sooo ....

storagepictures004.jpg

Got the forks extended today. These were the original forks from the Shwinn. They just weren't on at the picture taking.

forks.jpg

The frames are almost tacked up and aligned. A Huffy bike and a Sears have been sacrificed so far. The Huffy is pretty obivous, but the Sears was used for it's bottom bracket.

framejigged1half.jpg

framejigged2half.jpg

Next time you see the bike it will be a rider!

I'm just briniging the tallbike and Gigs will have her own bike at Autorama. It won't take too long to get mine done and Gig's bike is off limits to me except when she needs sanding done! :lol: Thanks for the offer though. :p

Latest posts

Back