Tall Bikes,lets see'em!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eclipse said:
I'm starting to get the bug for them. I'm just scared of crashing. That's a tall fall.

If you build it, you will know how to properly crash it. I've ridden both of mine probably 100 miles and never an incident, but I know the bike well, I am always nervous putting someone else on it, especially after my brother-in-law, an accomplished BMX racer, mountain bike racer, and all around bike guy crashed one twice within minutes.

When you build you own, you build you "way out" that's hard to teach other people sometimes.

yoothgeye said:
udallcustombikes said:
Just finished this one today. I have ridden about 8 or 10 miles around town and getting a kick out of all the people taking pics and video as they drive past. Even had a few pull over in side streets to get better pics and chat with me as I roll by.

I love the attention mine gets, just making people smile makes me happy.

How's yours handle with the big forward apes?

I was cleaning out today, taking a bunch of bikes to the scrapper tomorrow, but saved frames for a couple more tall bikes, I want a fleet of them!

It handles like a dream. We had a bunch of family over today and I rode it around for a while. They all enjoyed watching and the kids got excited when the firetruck honked their horn at me as they went by.

Made a tall bike for my son yesterday, needs paint, but was ridden by 2 200 pound people yesterday (not at the same time) and it's safe, very stable:

small_tall.jpg

Thanks to Yooth, I have started a tall bike for my kiddos. Made from ...... 20" girls bikes :D pictures to come later!

I've seen shorter tall bikes for adults, I like it! Just realize the danger of these things, a normal fall that's nothing on a regular bike becomes serious on one of these, trust me, been there, done that.

10-4 on the danger factor yooth! I understand 100%

now we have started on a 26" tall bike, the boys want to ride them at the beach park tomorrow.

A huge thanks to uncle jack for the use of his flux core welder 8)

Here is a cool old one.
1940_popular_science.jpg

here is the second attempt in 3 days on a tall bike.

dumbbikes003.jpg

these are addicting, uncle jack is never getting the welder back! off to make a sidehack :shock:

So how does that one ride and turn? I mean I know "how" it works, I wanna know more like how it feels.

yoothgeye said:
So how does that one ride and turn? I mean I know "how" it works, I wanna know more like how it feels.

It is really "springy" with the long rear end on it. It also needs some handlebars that go forward more. He got arm pump riding it for 5 minutes, not very fun. This might be rebuilt to become a better rider, he is 5'9" and is stretching hard to pedal when he turns.

Here's a double-decker tall bike I built out of two Huffy cantilever frames. 26" wheel in the rear and a 24" wheel and fork up front.
tall_zpscb83c8b5.jpg

Latest posts

Back