Tanklight buildoff!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1959firearrow said:
Kinda reminds me of a 65 ford galaxie/fairlane headlight setup. Very muscular. Building a muscle tanker? :lol: :lol:
yeah , kinda like a musclecar style bike , that's the idea ... but i was more inspired by the pontiac GTO for the lights

made my battery pack :D from 3x "D"batteries in a "PVC/ABS" case with an integrated switch , it will be mounted at the bottom/back of the seat tube ...
as for the light , they light up like daylight at midnight , but since i took the pictures , iam having problems with some LEDs flashings ,so ill have to find a way to change the lights when installed in the tank
DSCN5008_zps2245237e.jpg

DSCN5005_zpsd20112f1.jpg

DSCN5004_zpsdd4087fc.jpg

DSCN5011_zps4d4f680e.jpg

DSCN5010_zps8d5baf38.jpg

DSCN5003_zps538ca112.jpg

DSCN5009_zps71ee42ca.jpg

just to show , this picture was taken with allot of light in the room , the lights are so intense ,the room looks dark :shock: 8)

(Edit) am i even suppose to post progress here ? :?

Great progress on this!
Lot of great ideas to steal, I mean borrow!!
That over-under looks reminds me of the old Riviera's.
Now you need to figure out a way to make the retractable covers. :wink:

1965-buick-riviera-concealed-headlights-photo-379682-s-1280x782.jpg

Here's another cool tank light for inspiration.

WFtankDetail1.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Great progress on this!
Lot of great ideas to steal, I mean borrow!!
That over-under looks reminds me of the old Riviera's.
Now you need to figure out a way to make the retractable covers. :wink:

1965-buick-riviera-concealed-headlights-photo-379682-s-1280x782.jpg

that grill would be awesome , i would love to find a scale model of a(riviera/galaxie/Gto) to cut and use as the front part of the tank to have a nice light casing :p

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice job on the battery tube and wiring! :wink:

Luke.
thanks .. still need shrink tubes to weather proof the thing , but iam pretty impressed of how it turned out for a first

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! Your mock up drawings are amazing, as you said: Love 3d!
That chain guard idea is brilliant, mind if I borrow it for the muscle bike build off? :mrgreen:

Luke.
go ahead ,i might learn tricks to make it work :wink:

since i had problems with flashing LEDs ,i had to think of a way to change the lights once the tank is build , so after allllot of thinking i came up with this:
changeablelightssetup_zpsf72877cc.jpg

that way i will be able the screw in new lights when needed :mrgreen: ... (the contacts of these lights are on a spring inside in the middle and the threads of the cap/outer case, where the switch use to be)

anybody else started working on there tanklight ? :? iam curious to see how original tank were made inside , and what you guys plan for the build... original restoration/ original updated or custom?

Starting building the tank today, made 2 thin planks of wood for the 2 part tank and mounted the lights , made sure everything was symetrical and that the light were at the right angle ..also made 2 light covers out of PVC fittings (cut/lathe/heat formed/sanded/painted) they go on press fit and will cover the 1/4" that sticks out to screw/unscrew the lights for replacement ...... also started working on the "chainguard/exaust pipe" ,i will wrap part of it in exaust tape....nuf said , here's the pics :)
DSCN5019_zps9da7ea8e.jpg

DSCN5018_zps6d65ef91.jpg

DSCN5020_zpsa99cdc42.jpg

DSCN5021_zpse3fe403e.jpg

DSCN5016_zps37103f9e.jpg

DSCN5015_zps0387c780.jpg

there is also this MP3 holder on the handle bar i made .. have a set of speakers i took out of an old backpack ,and i plan to make "faux gauges/speakers" and mount them on a plate on the handlebars :wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
Cool work 1HP!
Starting to get the feeling you may be the only one still going on this build off...
Nevermind, I am still following along...

Luke. :D
yep . i kinda feel the same :? its sad if its true , but i was gonna do that tank anyways :)
Thanks by the way!

1HP, That tanklight is inspirational!

Thanks guys! , ill post pics later today , i started the foam and fiber-bondo work , and iam very happy of how it cover the lights and alows me to unscrew them

Latest posts

Back