Tanklight buildoff!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN5022_zps3774fd6a.jpg

DSCN5023_zps4b8c363b.jpg

DSCN5025_zpsbeeb0e13.jpg

now that look's really rough for now cause i did not sand anything , but my goal is to finish it until i cant detect any bumps or deviation in the light reflection

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good 1HP!
You have a lot of sanding ahead of you though... :mrgreen:

Luke.
i will let the belt sander do most of the job :wink:

Re: Tanklight buildoff! Route 66

I hope Im not two late I started this a while back in the builds section I didnt see this thread until now.. :D

Heres the starting point for this one ...
I auctially Hit a wall with this one I had writers block & didnt know weather to sell this bike
or part it out . I Took the bike apart & was not sure what I was going to do ?
But I decided because this bike is rare being a 26 inch Motobike to build it up.
DSC04580.jpg

This is a Hard Starting point even for me lol .. This bike has greasers & they where really full Yuck !
Is there a extra cruddy starting point class ?
DSC04577.jpg

Yup its pretty crusty & Cruddy..
DSC04591.jpg

Im getting closer to complete, But Im not done yet .. :D
DSC09951_zpsa02f26d3.jpg

I up graded the lighting ...
DSC09949_zpsae9cda0a.jpg

DSC09948_zps05a59df3.jpg

This fender was dust ..I think ? It looks decent now.. :D
DSC09954_zps282e6c91.jpg

still have some details to work on.. :D
Im close to done .But I will likely wait a bit before I offically finish due to other projects ..
DSC09981_zps2c334073.jpg

Exellent build "tanksalot" love what you did with it 8) ... but i have tones of questions now . what light did you use? ..how the tank was made? ... whats the power source? ... thats a new fork ?.. or maybe giving me the build thread adress would be better :wink:

(edit) here a update on the preview 8)
TLCTanklightchallengejpg_zps96423462.jpg

and what i will use to mount the 2 side tank together .. its name "bed frame bracket" if i remember well ..so to instal the tank i will jsut have to slide the 2 sides together and hold it in place with only one apparent screw, witch will be recessed and painted
DSCN5032_zps1ff59364.jpg

I used a light string of 30 leds & tripled them up on the tank exhaust ports .. You can buy the lights on the bay for $6.00 shipped ..As you can see they are bright as heck using 3 AA batterys .. Im going to do more builds using these leds .. They work great . My build thread is route 66 in the builds section.I have have the bike entered in the musclebikeamerica site build off . I like your tank idea a lot I just hope you can change out the leds if your ever need to. I also like you Cad program what are you using for you mock up program?

tanksalot said:
I used a light string of 30 leds & tripled them up on the tank exhaust ports .. You can buy the lights on the bay for $6.00 shipped ..As you can see they are bright as heck using 3 AA batterys .. Im going to do more builds using these leds .. They work great . My build thread is route 66 in the builds section.I have have the bike entered in the musclebikeamerica site build off . I like your tank idea a lot I just hope you can change out the leds if your ever need to. I also like you Cad program what are you using for you mock up program?
Yes , the light can be changed (cheap 2$ 9leds flash lights)that i can buy at allot of stores around here , but i purchase 2extras , just in case they stop selling them in the future, you can look at previous posts to see how i made it work..
the program is (Google Sketchup 7 free version) thanks!

almost finish the 1st half , iam very happy with the result :D , still need some miner adjustments on this part , and of course trying to sculpt the other half exactly the same :wink:
DSCN5040_zps9641948a.jpg

DSCN5041_zps99e44a85.jpg

DSCN5042_zpsf93f994a.jpg

DSCN5043_zpsf51feb13.jpg

thats coming out slick 1HP!!!!!
.... :idea: next time your at a hardware store, check out the bin section for a furniture hardware drawer. For future use or ideas, the speaker grill replacement clips are impressively strong and durable, they are my go to for removable blind mount panels. really easy to install, and replace if there is an issue later on. I even use them to install headliner panels and consoles in rides, with quite a bit of electronics dangling in the air with no issue.
also, i noticed you used kitty hair/ marglass/ fiber filler, that stuff can be a bit of a pain to sculpt with. i usually cut it back with regular bondo or resin so if will lay down better and leave less pin holes. careful with adding resin, it kicks off faster and harder, you only need a few drops, its exactly the same stuff they sell as filler honey. on my final skims, I like to cut back my filler with glaze putty (catalyst putty not red or green) because the resin honey will make it tougher to feather and sand..

pholTmonx said:
thats coming out slick 1HP!!!!!
.... :idea: next time your at a hardware store, check out the bin section for a furniture hardware drawer. For future use or ideas, the speaker grill replacement clips are impressively strong and durable, they are my go to for removable blind mount panels. really easy to install, and replace if there is an issue later on. I even use them to install headliner panels and consoles in rides, with quite a bit of electronics dangling in the air with no issue.
also, i noticed you used kitty hair/ marglass/ fiber filler, that stuff can be a bit of a pain to sculpt with. i usually cut it back with regular bondo or resin so if will lay down better and leave less pin holes. careful with adding resin, it kicks off faster and harder, you only need a few drops, its exactly the same stuff they sell as filler honey. on my final skims, I like to cut back my filler with glaze putty (catalyst putty not red or green) because the resin honey will make it tougher to feather and sand..
thanks man ! , i dont have a clue what your talking about for the ""speaker grill replacement clips"" maybe a link or a picture would help me ... as for fiber bondo , had no problem sculpting it with a "rasp file" and rough sand paper , it was actualy pretty quick ... i build up a good solid base with it and the rest was ordinary bondo ...and i let go the idea of epoxy and fiberglass , 1-cause i dont want to wait till summer to finish this cause it stink to much inside 2- for the build budget and 3 - That! is the most horibble thing to sand and its messy.. its plenty strong now anyways :wink:

mastronaut said:
I'd say you got some sculpting chops! Lookin sweet...cheers! :D
"chops" ? if you mean its still pretty rough, thats cause its sanded with 80grit , i primed it cause i could not see clearly the shape cause of the 2 colors of bondo :wink:

mastronaut said:

"chops" ? if you mean its still pretty rough, thats cause its sanded with 80grit , i primed it cause i could not see clearly the shape cause of the 2 colors of bondo"

It's a guitarists term for knowing how to play...looks like you know how to do some creative bondo work... :lol:
oh! :roll: Thank you 8)

OneHorsePower said:
thanks man ! , i dont have a clue what your talking about for the ""speaker grill replacement clips"" maybe a link or a picture would help me ... as for fiber bondo , had no problem sculpting it with a "rasp file" and rough sand paper , it was actualy pretty quick ... i build up a good solid base with it and the rest was ordinary bondo ...and i let go the idea of epoxy and fiberglass , 1-cause i dont want to wait till summer to finish this cause it stink to much inside 2- for the build budget and 3 - That! is the most horibble thing to sand and its messy.. its plenty strong now anyways :wink:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/pics/NX-GF-001.jpg this is a sample of the clip, they make all sizes and shapes, but the idea is they are made to be "blind" mounts, as in not visible from the front.. as for the bondo, was just suggesting to mix the 2 together, so it gets less pin holes etc, Im used to automotive finishes and pin holes can be a major issue to chase around later.. any way looks great, and good luck!!

pholTmonx said:
OneHorsePower said:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/pics/NX-GF-001.jpg this is a sample of the clip, they make all sizes and shapes, but the idea is they are made to be "blind" mounts, as in not visible from the front.. as for the bondo, was just suggesting to mix the 2 together, so it gets less pin holes etc, Im used to automotive finishes and pin holes can be a major issue to chase around later.. any way looks great, and good luck!!
thanks! , but i could not find them anywhere , ill keep searching tho , cause if i can avoid a apparent screw , i will !

on a other note , i am getting close to finish the second side of the tank identical to the 1st :) but now i cant decide which colors (2 tones) i will paint the bike
i am thinking "satin black" "white walls tires/flat white rims and tank" and a neon orange pint stripe ,but i never had any flat or sating finish on my bikes ,so i keep asking myself if i will like it , and i have so many paint ideas i cant make my mind :?:

Latest posts

Back