Tear drop trailer build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you asked for more info on this project, so I'll post the build here.

It all started with this $150 Kijiji boat trailer special. Hauled it home with my son's Camry and it had all kinds of problem, no lights, no suspension and border line tires but it made to my driveway without exploding or getting pulled over by the cops.

IMG_1816.jpg

Heroic pose before starting the project

IMG_1817.jpg

Wake up call

IMG_1819.jpg

Busted suspension

IMG_1827.jpg

What was left after the tear down.

IMG_1831.jpg

Problem number one is that the frame was not big enough for what I had in mind. So I shopped around and found $15 worth of bed frames at the scrapyard and bolted up everything.

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

With the help of my trusted assistant, Electro-Mechanic in training, my son William.

IMG_1896.jpg

A good coat of rust paint later and some new suspension here is what it looked like.

IMG_1946.jpg

Then came time to make the floor.

IMG_2074.jpg

After a gallon of roof tar the floor was flipped over, bolted and it was time for the walls.

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

It's like building a big model airplane.

This is what the project looked like when I started again this spring.

Stuff001.jpg

I then changed the tires for bigger ones, skinned the interior, varnished it and had my now graduated Electro-Mechanic son wire the whole thing for me.

Stuff005.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

DSCN1255.jpg

All that I have left to do is finish skinning the roof, install the lights, fiberglass the exterior, paint, make doors and get a hitch on my HIghlander. This has to be done and ready to camp by the second week of July.

Gerry :)

Looks great. I have a boat trailer I can't get rid of, it might be a teardrop camper project. So far, all I've heard is: "Please No! Don't do that!"

cool project Gerry,
i've been th9inkering about building one myself.
If that ok with you i'd like to come over and see it soemtimes this summer?

tartosuc said:
cool project Gerry,
i've been th9inkering about building one myself.
If that ok with you i'd like to come over and see it soemtimes this summer?

Anytime Bro, your always welcomed at me casa. :)

wow, i am impressed! have you researched licensing it yet? i know here in the states (or this one anyway)starting withan existing trailer like you did will make it easier to register for highway travel. i really like this project, cant wait to see it finished. 8)

X-RAY said:
wow, i am impressed! have you researched licensing it yet? i know here in the states (or this one anyway)starting withan existing trailer like you did will make it easier to register for highway travel. i really like this project, cant wait to see it finished. 8)
Yes it is already licensed. As long as you keep it under 2000 lbs and follow a few rules for lights, you can make pretty much anything you want in Quebec. Plate cost $65 for life.

The weather finally let up for more than 3 days so I got to work a lot in the past couple of weeks.

First I got to insulate and skin the exterior front and roof.

DSCN1302.jpg

That little curve on the front roof was a pain. I had to wet that plywood like it was under a monsoon! It finally fitted but with a few kinks.

DSCN1303.jpg

Next fiberglass resin. I was just going to lay it down straight on the wood but a buddy suggested an old East European trick and use some newspaper for added strength. It worked but the finish is a bit rough.

DSCN1425.jpg

I had time to sand it down and fix a few boo-boos with putty just before the Sun went bye bye this evening and put out some lights to lay down the first coat of white Tremclad. That picture will come tomorrow.

DSCN1426.jpg

Now on to the doors and other knick knacks

Gerry :)

Well no more reading the paper, it got it's first coat of white yesterday and I managed to make one of the doors today. Newspaper really did a number on the overall look. I'll be trying rice paper (Gift stuffing paper actually) for the doors since it is more porous, should do a better job at an even surface. Live and learn. :)

DSCN1428.jpg

just wanted to say what a great looking build gerry, especially since its from the ground up :) looking forward to the end of it !!!

Any idea of the weight of the camper without the trailer? I've been planning on making one freestanding that I can put on and take off my little utility trailer. Just your basic sleeper, nothing else, an alternative to a tent.

yoothgeye said:
Any idea of the weight of the camper without the trailer? I've been planning on making one freestanding that I can put on and take off my little utility trailer. Just your basic sleeper, nothing else, an alternative to a tent.
That's a great idea. I figure at least 500lbs if not more.

Latest posts

Back