BO15 Teddy Ballgame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm throwing my hat in the ring with a 1953 Monark Rocket.

My plan is to create a bike that a young boy would have made to haul his baseball gear to the baseball diamond.
I am going to add a different rear rack and soda crate to haul baseballs and gloves. I plan to recover the seat with leather from an old baseball glove. There will also be a way to carry a baseball bat as well. Will also lower the front headlight. All accessories will be from 50's.

IMG-0305.jpg

IMG-0306.jpg

Welcome to the fun!
Great bike to start with. Those frame darts threw me a bit because they look a lot like Schwinn. Killer paint.

Got the bike cleaned up and serviced. Added the new rear rack and root beer crate. I also lowered the front light and painted the seat pan in primer. I was lucky and found a set of Electra Cruiser tires at the LBS. I may switch to red brick tires thou. Not sure yet.

monark 3.jpg

I found this can recently that I plan to use to make a baseball bat holder. Still have to figure out a bracket to hold the can and that will mount to the rear axle.

can.jpg

I also found this old catchers mitt at the goodwill for $2.00 and plan to use this to recover the seat. Looks like its big enough. This seat will probably take me a while to finish to make it look right.

seat.jpg

Also, have some other fun accessories planned for the root beer crate as well.

I ended up putting the bat holder on the front wheel. I plan to use a small leather strap and buckle to secure the bat to the handle bar. I need to finish staining the bat to get the right look I want. I made an "L" shaped bracket to hold the can and support the weight of the bat. Still need to recover the seat and find some vintage pedals.

bat 1.jpg

bat 2.jpg

I like your ideas ! And yes, maybe a bracket coming off the handlebar to hold the handle of the bat, so it doesn't lean on it. Also, if you mount that head light bracket off the front of that stem bolt, below the handelbar, it will push the light out in front of the fork braces and bat and give it better dimension I think. Just my .02 cents.

I like the natural patina you have going here, and that catcher's mitt idea is cool!

RaT oN~!

I like your ideas ! And yes, maybe a bracket coming off the handlebar to hold the handle of the bat, so it doesn't lean on it. Also, if you mount that head light bracket off the front of that stem bolt, below the handelbar, it will push the light out in front of the fork braces and bat and give it better dimension I think. Just my .02 cents.

I like the natural patina you have going here, and that catcher's mitt idea is cool!

RaT oN~!
I was actually thinking the same thing about moving the light below the handlebars. I had bent the light bracket but didn't get the desired effect.

I like the theme. The vintage can is perfect!

Don't forget some clothespins and baseball cards in the spokes!

...and THIS!
Got some baseball cards and clothespin ready. Waiting for a small pennant to come in the mail. I have some other accessories as well and will reveal them when the bike is finished.

I found these reprint baseball cards on eBay for $2.00 shipped.

cards.jpg

I finally got the bat finished. It was originally a yellow color Willie McCovey model I found. It was pretty rough. I sanded it down and put a few layers of stain on it. Also, made the leather strap to hold the bat to the handlebars. I lowered the light as well. I may switch the light out. Not sure yet.

bat holder final.jpg

I also starting tearing down the seat to recover it with the old catchers mitt I found. I repainted some parts and cleaned up underneath the seat pan. I am missing the inner pan that help holds the material/fabric to the pan. I found on www.thecabe.com a guy that can 3D print the inner pan. He doesn't live far. I feel like I definitely need an inner pan to secure the glove leather.

seat rebuild.jpg

seat pan.jpg

Bat and holder came out nice.
How is that seat cover coming. I really want to see that happen!!!!!

Latest posts

Back