Teeth of the Hydra

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This build features the 71’ Schwinn Racer frame that I used in my first build off (BONINE). It doesn’t get the love it deserves ( no one rides it ), so I’m going to turn it into a 3-speed klunker and hopefully give it new life and “get it on” the trail.
1c63a82c8f318a368a200ba77799a8a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started removing the paint... it’s going to be BARE METAL. I might have to try the “Easy Off” method that so many members here use for the hard-to-reach areas. OR the vinegar method. I’ve never used either, but I think it’s time to give it a whirl. Any suggestions?

Easy off will only remove the top color layer on a Schwinn. Silver bottom coat and primer are real stubborn. The Camelback frame makes a great looking klunker. Look forward to seeing it.

Klunkers/bombers are my favorite builds. I'm trying hard to resist building another one myself. Cant wait to see it finished!

Soulman, I've used Zip Strip with great success. Outdoors though, with a throw away plastic tarp underneath, heavy duty rubberized gloves, and I usually wear safety glasses and a 3M mask over my nose / mouth. Plastic scraper, #000 steel wool, and there won't be any paint left when you're done.

Your 'sleek tactical klunker' would be considered a XC (cross country) speed orientated mountain bike in today's racing world. Usually just front suspension (because the courses are so technical with drops, rocks, etc these days) and as light weight as possible.

You've got a good start.... RaT oN~!

Soulman, I've used Zip Strip with great success. Outdoors though, with a throw away plastic tarp underneath, heavy duty rubberized gloves, and I usually wear safety glasses and a 3M mask over my nose / mouth. Plastic scraper, #000 steel wool, and there won't be any paint left when you're done.

Your 'sleek tactical klunker' would be considered a XC (cross country) speed orientated mountain bike in today's racing world. Usually just front suspension (because the courses are so technical with drops, rocks, etc these days) and as light weight as possible.

You've got a good start.... RaT oN~!

Thanks OJ. I might try that. I will not be using suspension forks though... I like my forks rigid... which shows I’ve never really ridden on a “mountain.”

Thanks OJ. I might try that. I will not be using suspension forks though... I like my forks rigid... which shows I’ve never really ridden on a “mountain.”

Haha! Well, rigid was the only option when I started racing mountain bikes in 1987. Didn't have a suspension fork until '93. And that was about 80mm of travel, if I recall. :wink1:

Made some paint-removal progress. Using the 3M automotive pint removal tool. It does scratch up the metal a little, but I would like to keep the use of chemical strippers to a minimum. So the plan is to remove as much as I can with this, and then wage “chemical warfare” on the hard-to-reach areas.
136096b7532f5c982c91347c34d92c6d.jpg

I’m back! I finally have some time to make some progress. The past two weeks were devoted to grad-party preparation. You guys were right, Schwinn red primer is a very fierce opponent in my quest for a bare-metal frame. I removed all the easy-to-reach placer with the automotive paint-removal tool, and then followed it up with some stripper. I do NOT like working with chemicals.( maybe I watched Toxic Avenger too many times in high school, IDK ) I know I have to hit it with another wave of “chemical warfare,” but I will look at other options first. Maybe Dremel make a little stripper attachment?
a19a08fbbc350f3ad81e318093f766d6.jpg
5d1bc578c9e13bb387ba35fc7e1f7a98.jpg
971c4cf7d6a595b05e5bd00017f67e2c.jpg

Those 3M abrasive wheels work well, but they wear very fast, so expect to buy a bunch (this is where a more useful father than I had would remind everyone to wear a mask). Before you eat through those, you can probably get some more off by cutting sandpaper into strips and wrapping them around the tubing, then working the paper using a push-pull motion. Start with light paper and see if you need to go to a heavier paper as this method can sometimes work pretty fast and you don't want to have to clean up deep scratches.

Those 3M abrasive wheels work well, but they wear very fast, so expect to buy a bunch (this is where a more useful father than I had would remind everyone to wear a mask).

Yes and no. Depends on the substrate. The last one I posted above seems to last a decent amount of time. I used one to strip a sportbike wheel recently because my media blast guy was out of town. It did the job, but gave it's life for the cause. One wheel for one wheel was worth it for me because I would have spent the cost of the 3m wheel in gas just to drive it out to my guy

Yes, mask for sure!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back