TENUCK - I'm in!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, as often happens, I had a killer idea for a bike as I was taking a shower a week ago, but as it came together in my mind I realized I would barely have time to acquire the parts needed in the time allotted, much less assemble and engineer them into a sweet bike, so for now I will save that idea for "Boleven".

I was going to blow off this build-off, but today I came across something cool at a thrift store, a Cromoly canti-framed, built in China with Canada pride CCM mountain cruiser:

ten1.jpg

ten2.jpg

ten3.jpg

While it looks a little ratted-out already, a little research shows that, besides the goofy bars it is mostly original. I've not seen a canti mountain bike like this before, although I'm sure they exist. It appears to be a 1998 CCM North 44. I like a lot of it as-is, but I'm hoping I can change it enough to make it interesting. Since it is build-off 10 I plan to make it a 10 speed (it is 18 speed now). First choice is to go with a 1x10 drivetrain, but if I can't make that work I will go with a traditional 2x5 setup. I also like the seat and gumwall tires, but they may find their way to other projects, only because they are original to the bike and I need to change SOMETHING. I also plan to de-sticker and use the original paint, so that will save some time.

Just seemed like a somewhat unique bike that would be an easy way to get in the game late.

Well, as often happens, I had a killer idea for a bike as I was taking a shower a week ago, but as it came together in my mind I realized I would barely have time to acquire the parts needed in the time allotted, much less assemble and engineer them into a sweet bike, so for now I will save that idea for "Boleven".

I was going to blow off this build-off, but today I came across something cool at a thrift store, a Cromoly canti-framed, built in China with Canada pride CCM mountain cruiser:

ten1.jpg

ten2.jpg

ten3.jpg

While it looks a little ratted-out already, a little research shows that, besides the goofy bars it is mostly original. I've not seen a canti mountain bike like this before, although I'm sure they exist. It appears to be a 1998 CCM North 44. I like a lot of it as-is, but I'm hoping I can change it enough to make it interesting. Since it is build-off 10 I plan to make it a 10 speed (it is 18 speed now). First choice is to go with a 1x10 drivetrain, but if I can't make that work I will go with a traditional 2x5 setup. I also like the seat and gumwall tires, but they may find their way to other projects, only because they are original to the bike and I need to change SOMETHING. I also plan to de-sticker and use the original paint, so that will save some time.

Just seemed like a somewhat unique bike that would be an easy way to get in the game late.
MTB is where my heart is, and you've got my attention! Cool frame, paint, tires, and possibilities! I'll be watching....

As good a starting point as any , lots of possibilities for this one ! It will look a lot better by just loosing the roadie bars.
On a side note , I did not know that CCM sold out to the Chinese but I guess that is the way of the world these days.
Mark

As good a starting point as any , lots of possibilities for this one ! It will look a lot better by just loosing the roadie bars.
On a side note , I did not know that CCM sold out to the Chinese but I guess that is the way of the world these days.
Mark

Hmm....thought I saw a "Made in China" sticker at the bottom of the frame, but that may have been another bike, as this one clearly says "Hand Crafted in Canada" on the seat stay.

I love the color of those tires.

Cool word of the day: de-crapify

Just messin' around:

ten5.jpg

I keep running into little stumbling blocks...threadless stem/headset but its 1 inch? so nothing I have fits, like suspension forks. Rear dropouts are not typical for a multi-speed bike, they have adjustment room like a single speed, but for some reason a quick-release wheel isn't tightening up like it is supposed to. Previous derailleur was a claw type, no hanger on the bike (go try to find a 1x10 rear derailleur that doesn't use a hanger, I dare ya!)

Small things I think I can overcome, but just slows everything down. Not sure if I'm going to keep it in the dirt or slick things up a bit yet.

....any news on this build...? Was one of my "watched" early on....

This is as far as I got before I got frustrated with it:

ten6.jpg

ten7.jpg

ten8.jpg

With family coming I doubt there will be any more progress. Might revisit it over the winter.

Toeslider OUT.

Back