TEXAS TANK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annnnd back to the drawing board to get some better ground clearance and an attempt to get better steering without reworking the rake on the head tube...

I fooled around and wondered if flipping the forks around would get me better ground clearance and it did although it looks incorrect it works so ill give i a shot before chopping up the forks. Id much rather modify he forks than the frame but we shall see...

Also removed the rear triangle for a complete rework. Have to design some cardboard template dropouts... Have some lead sled Merc inspiration going into this so ill see how that works out.

please excuse the aweful pics and lighting

Well, new frame, new name.
Looked at the frame long enough and after deciding on what to do, i short after decided that it wasn't what i wanted at all. So made a trip to the steel yard and got some larger OD tubing and got to work. Drew up a few rough sketches and halfway decent one and measured about a one hundred and seventy three times and took some more measurements from my muscle bike build and from the parts bike and started chopping. I didnt cut apart the first frame because it felt like a waste... maybe next time. But heres what i have

Wanted to tuck the wheels closer to the frame. And wanted the tank to sit up high. Rider position will be slouched over it.

2 cut off wheels, 1 flap disk and tons of fitting... 24hrs later here's what i have. Still have to pick a spot for the cranks but man did this thing turn out sweet! Keeping the bars for now just going to get rid of the cross bar and leaving them flipped. keeping the forks as well. was meant to be a budget build so this is how it will be. just need to mount the cranks and add a gusset for the seat tube then do all the finish welding. last add ons will be the tank and a few small extras.

Looks cool!
Have you thought about bending the forks forward slightly to even the gaps from the tire to the frame?

Luke.
I thought about making a springer setup but its tolerable as is. I have the rake set exactly where i want it and ti,e wise i need to have this whipped up by this upcoming weekend for a family ride so the updates will be coming quick

Merry Christmas! slapped it together for a quick test ride. still need to build the taller lay back post and maybe a set of handle bars. Rides nice, steers awesome. the slouch position is actually comfortable for me. built it with my terrible posture in mind lol. a set of apes will fix that right up though :grin:

Still a little more fab to do and have to go through my rear hub since it started popping. But should be in color pretty soon!

Anyhow, pics!!

color! as loud as it looks here the pictures don't do this red justice! the new tires are in as well and last thing to do is purchase some nice grips. Other than that its moving right along and just working on finishing the paint process. Looking forward to getting out to the sunday cruises and this months Critical Mass ride here in Houston.

So after a bunch of paint and wet sanding with 600 and some assembly the bike went together fairly quick. Had to rush through it to get back to other things but here it is. Still need to purchase some nice grips but that didn't stop me from throwing some old ones on it and taking it out for a spin. Rides great! Feels a lot better with these bars and the layback post. Good rider for sure and i think i really nailed the look of a Frisco style bobber/chopper.
Ill take better pictures outside when the weather gets better. Here's all i have for now.

As far as taking a same ole same ole conventional type frame , changing and adding a few pieces of tubing without stretching much , if any , no doubt one of the best Ive seen. Gotta love that bobber look too. Really like the kendas on 4in rims. Had a pair of 3in kendas laying around for a few years that Im using on next project. Im sure youll agree that leaning too hard into a corner can be dangerous to your health with those on 4in rims. lol. Makes for a sharp edge on each side of the tread area. Can you tell what size tube used and did you have much trouble keeping tire bead seated in rim? Keep up the good work.

As far as taking a same ole same ole conventional type frame , changing and adding a few pieces of tubing without stretching much , if any , no doubt one of the best Ive seen. Gotta love that bobber look too. Really like the kendas on 4in rims. Had a pair of 3in kendas laying around for a few years that Im using on next project. Im sure youll agree that leaning too hard into a corner can be dangerous to your health with those on 4in rims. lol. Makes for a sharp edge on each side of the tread area. Can you tell what size tube used and did you have much trouble keeping tire bead seated in rim? Keep up the good work.

Thanks. The tubing is 1.5" 16g. And didnt have a problem at all inflating the tires and seating the bead. just had to watch closely to not pinch the tube

This is very nice! I liked the first attempt because I go mad for extreme HT angles, but it looked a bit "bulky" with the enormous tank panel...
This one is amazing, with the saddle down even with the tank's line and the reversed handlebars it looks crazy aggressive!
I think you shall go back to reversed bars or get a tall set of those apehangers made from curvy tubes welded on sharp angles...dunno how are they called :S

Latest posts

Back