*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (Fender, Headbadge, Chainguard install: 7/25)

JoKeR63 said:
I see you've been killin' LED's, they normally need dropping resistors to limit the current. Bike's lookin' good, I hope that chainguard works out for you, and use caution when riding with lace-up shoes! :D

Murrays Rule!

I had plenty of LEDs to work with, and not having the specs on them I just ran them at different voltages to see what range they they, then I ran them in series to attain the correct voltage each, I don't like running resistors with batteries.

Speaking of the chainguard, I went home for lunch and gave the crank a spin and...

clearance.jpg

(sorry, camera was inside, world's worst camera phone)

Maybe 1/8th of an inch clearance, maybe, but with no play in the crank or chainguard I should be good. I should install a flint on the end of the star and rough up the inside of the crank arm and it will spark on every rotation. :!:

yoothgeye said:
Maybe 1/8th of an inch clearance, maybe, but with no play in the crank or chainguard I should be good. I should install a flint on the end of the star and rough up the inside of the crank arm and it will spark on every rotation. :!:

You may be joking, but that would seriously be cool as heck, as long as you don't catch your pants leg on fire. :roll: :roll:

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

You may be joking, but that would seriously be cool as h***, as long as you don't catch your pants leg on fire. :roll: :roll:

It's an idea I'm throwing out there for someone else. You could use the top portion of a throw away lighter and remove the button and shield, then then the crank hit the roller it would spin and spark, you could just use a piece of rubber on the crank arm to turn the wheel when it hit it. That would be a really simple way to do it so that the flint wouldn't actually have to contact the crank arm.

But you are right, it would look cool, and it would be more controllable than a sparker on the wheel or something, you could pedal a little to make it happen, then as people watch for it to happen again, just coast and leave them wondering what happened.

Day 84 (is that even right?)

Alright, took off last night because I needed sleep, but back at it tonight. Cody came over to help and he thought we could finish tonight. That would've been nice, but I got details to attend to.

First off, I finished grinding down the tail light lense to fit inside my stainless steel thermos tail light:
IMG_4431.jpg

Notice the back is open and light will reflect from the lense for a light red forward glow:
IMG_4432.jpg

I didn't think the light was done, so I got my snips and cut some stainless steel from the body of the thermos to make a little hood:
IMG_4433.jpg

Installed it with 2 pop rivets:
IMG_4434.jpg

Totally overbuilt (I could've just bought something, gasp!), but I like it, and not another one like it exists anywhere.

When I started the build the fork steer tube was too short, so I cut the top and bottom of the head tube, now it's too long! So I threaded a nut on it and cut the top off, then you just remove the nut and it cleans the threads. I always cut using a cutting disk for clean cuts. This was just before the cut:
IMG_4435.jpg

Then I cut a piece of brass and "machined" it down with a drill, file, and bench grinder to fit under the top nut:
IMG_4437.jpg

So that it will hold my headlight switch:
IMG_4439.jpg

Then I added the toggle top:
IMG_4440.jpg

At this point Cody was working hard on getting the rack just right while I worked on a dual function brake lever strap. Then I installed the bars and we worked together to put the chain on (hard with that chainguard). The bike is rideable now. Things left to do: install tank, mount tail light, build and install battery tube, mount license plate, finish rack, and...

Anyway, here are some progress shots:

Notice the shotgun shells:
IMG_4441.jpg

Dual purpose:
IMG_4442.jpg

Ring ring... ring ring!
IMG_4443.jpg

In 1976 the Viking landed on Mars and sent back photos, wonder if their final photos came within the set dealine?

Re: *The 76er* (Rideable bike, still not done update: 7/27)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Man, this thing is cool end-to-end, top-to-bottom.

Thanks, but I haven't shown it end-to-end, top-to-bottom yet!

I cut-n-pasted all the pics together in my mind already.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may have eaten some of the paste................................................................... :roll:

Cool hidey hole for your switch.
I also like the BEER bottle opener on the brake.
Cheers!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I cut-n-pasted all the pics together in my mind already.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may have eaten some of the paste................................................................... :roll:

It's non toxic, so you're good, oh and, stop picturing my bike in your head!

kingfish254 said:
Cool hidey hole for your switch.
I also like the BEER bottle opener on the brake.
Cheers!

Thanks, I could've wired the switch into a hole in the headlight, but I just like the idea of it on the bike instead. It's a 2 way switch, but I wired it center off, forward or back on.

Just got one word for you: SWEET!!!!!!

Day 85ish

Got some more work done tonight, really concentrated on the rack and I need your help on how to dress it.

First I started off by cleaning the surface rust off the rack we just made:
IMG_4444.jpg

Once it was clean I had a nervous chihuahua put some stripes on it:
IMG_4445.jpg

Then, you know the drill, antique and clear:
IMG_4446.jpg

Now, I've been planning a wood top all along, and I had this old liquor crate that I found in a ditch lined up to build the top, but when I tried taking it apart it broke... alot. So I grabbed this old laundry hamper lid (we actually used it as our trash can for about 9 years):
IMG_4448.jpg

Then I sanded it and scribbled on it:
IMG_4449.jpg

Next I used my dremel to trace my freehand:
IMG_4450.jpg

Next I used a big torch to bring out the grain in the wood and a little torch to trace my freshly carved lettering:
IMG_4452.jpg

Then I took it over the table saw (which I found in the alley during the build-off):
IMG_4453.jpg

Now that I've done all the work, I'm not sure whether to keep the wood or throw it out (I don't have a problem throwing it away if it needs to go). So please look at these last photos and let me know: attach and keep or throw away and just keep rails.
IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

Possible placement of license plate, I prefer a side mount, but just not sure:
IMG_4456.jpg

Thanks for the help.

On this date in history, July 28th 1976, Eldon Joersz and Geo Morgan set world air speed record of 3,530 kph, I imagine it looked like a bolt in the sky... like a Skybolt!

Re: *The 76er* (Rack work, need advice! update: 7/28)

I think it looks good. If you keep the rack boards, you may want to consider torching the ends (cuts) to match the face. Bike is looking great and filled with neat ideas.

Signed,

Local Guy with 3 votes! :D

I like teh rack, but I can't believe you are covering that wicked cool flame end to your fender.

Changed my mind after Kingfish's comment. On the rear of this bike I think.........................................................

Less is More!

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

Either way I still have 3 Votes!

Most importantly, Build it like you see it!

Jeff

i like it with the rack.... but then again looks good with out but better with it to me... :mrgreen:

I really like the bones of the rack, I think I will explore a way to keep the rack without the wood top, but something more minimalist for the top. I am trying to balance the bike stylistically since the front is so "heavy."

I personally agree with kingfish. The rack as it is covers up the cool flame design on the rear fender. Maybe try for something that won't hide the fender so much??? Lookin good so far! 8)

The welder is out a wire, but even if I buy some today the rack is already cleaned and cleared, so I will go back to my old bolt-on tricks from before I was welding. I have some ideas... just running out of time.

Latest posts

Back