The Amsterback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Here's my latest project. Not a build, more like a re-purposing.
I have a mid-90's Diamond Back MTB that is fine for cruising my hilly neighborhood, but the riding position is just not working for me anymore. Not mention, that having found this site, I can no longer leave things alone! :mrgreen:
Here's what I'm starting with:
DSCF2121.jpg

SO, here's what I'm thinking....convert it to a euro-inspired touring bike, kinda. My inspiration is the Electra Amsterdam Ballooner:
ElectraAmsterdamBalloon8DBlackMen.jpg

I'll probably leave it black (just clean it up), add some cruiser bars that Double Nickle was nice enough to give me, add a springer seat, maybe a more upright stem (maybe not depending on the reach) and DEFINITELY some cream tires.
OK, here's where I'd like some advice/input: I checked tire clearance and it looks like I've got 2.75 inches front and back. So, do I go with Cream Quick Bricks or Fat Franks. I know the Quick Bricks will definitely fit, but FF are what's on the Electra and tote a low rolling resistance (and are bigger, which is better, right? :mrgreen: ). As far as drive train, I know the existing Shimano SIS equipment group is garbage, but I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum on this one. I thinking of going to a single chairing in the front, again like the Electra (or just simply remove the derailleur) and adding a GripShifter and Shimano Sora short cage derailleur to the rear (I already have these parts)
So, let me know what ya think, I'm gonna go strip it down and start cleaning.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: The Amsterback - Need tire advice

Not having experience with those tires, my opinion of them would not be worth much, but if you can have lower resistance and floatation capability at the same time, that's got to be good, right? I wouldn't call SIS garbage. Not top shelf perfect, obsolete, sure, but if properly adjusted, and supplied with linear index housing, they work fine. Light years ahead of old time flat cogs and levers. When running derailleurs, I like having the wide range changing capability of front rings, it greatly expands your ability to leave the beaten path, but maybe you're not into that. :| Lastly, and there are probably those who don't agree, what I said concerning leaving the trail applies to shifters as well. They're fine for seated road work, but twist grip shifters aren't worth doodly during aggressive riding. It's really easy to shift inadvertently, at just the wrong time. :x :oops: All my opinion of course. I've been riding a long time, but one man's trash is another man's treasure. :wink: I'm sure most spandexers don't think much of my coaster bike. :mrgreen: It'll be big fun either way, I'm sure, so happy cycling. 8)

Hey Dr Tankenstein,

I had a talk about these cream tires last week at my lbs, he is not a big fan of the schwalbe brand, they apear to be of lower quality than the electra diamond tread, or the felt cream tires, and they apear to dry out and crack easy and turn yellow a lot faster too,
that's what the guy said.He said schwalbe has made a name for itself and now we're paing for it.
I think he's pretty reliable, but I'm curious what other people experienced too.
I've chosen the electra diamond tread.

Thanks for the input guys.
deorman,
I agree with you completetly. If I was doing aggressive trail riding, I'd go with an index shifter vs. a twist type, but I'm strictly thinking low key cruising for this one. I also get the 'coaster brakes are for kids bikes' looks from my roadie and ATB buddies. :D
I guess I was dissing the SIS stuff because the rear setup (mine anyway), seems to shift slowly, front one is even worse. There isn't that sharp shifting feeling like with the better trigger-type index shifters and better groupo. I'll probably leave three chainrings in place and move the chain manually until I find the gear ratios that work best for my neighborhood, the middle ring is where I find myself more often than not.
I'm sure I'm in for a whole new set of 'nuances' with the twist-type. :roll:

badmuller,
Thanks for the opinion from your LBS on the Schwalbes, I totally forgot about the Electra diamond treads, I'll add to list!

Obviously I can't say whether yours is functioning correctly or not, but here are some things that I have found to have a major impact on that system:
Grooves worn into inner liner of housing at bends.
Index housing replaced with standard radial type.
Link pair removed from chain to reduce slack.
Cage return spring stretched or on second hook, allowing too much slack. I'm not sure all models have the multiple choice spring settings, or the return stop screw, or whatever it's called.
Anyway, if you already have the other stuff, I guess it's a moot point, but perhaps you can use the info at some point.

schwalbe fat franks are great tires! great protection against puncture with kevlar guard system, creme or brown color, width 2.35" - all that you need for cruiser or city bikes!
schwalbe quality is better than felt or electra tires, i have thick brick in creme, schwalbe are flexible and stronger, felt are thick walls and heavy. i can't understand when somebody say that schwalbe have not good quality - that's absolutely mistake!

Very cool idea - funny thing is, I've been looking at an old DiamondBack Ascent (that I bought new in the early '90s myself), for a year or so now, considering a similar build. It's a great handling mtn. bike that I never ride anymore, either, and was hoping that its handling would translate well to a "city/Amsterdam bike".
I have the exact Electra bike you're emulating there, and I can't recommend the Fat Franks enough. I've even put them on a couple of '60s Schwinn cantilevers, and just love 'em. They're never cheap, but they've just come back down in price again. The best price I've found is at: http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?c ... 74&sort=2a

Interesting that Electra chose the Schwalbes , when they make the Vintage diamonds , exactly the same size and color , I bought some Electra Diamonds for my Schwinn , the distributor here in Aus wouldnt sell me any Fat Franks ,I was told , " we have to be carefull about where our tyres end up " .

As far as drivetrains go, as it relates to good shifing. All a deraleur does is pivot back and forth and move the chain. All the important stuff happens at the shifter. The higher quality the shifter the more gears you can sweep per stroke of the shifter lever. The indexing will feel better and so forth. I would say keep the lower quality deraeur and put the savings toward a better shifter.

So...any progress yet??? Inquiring minds want to know! 8)
My wife and I have matching Amsterdam balloonies - we love 'em:

007-5.jpg

114.jpg

Hammond Eggz,
I'm jealous, those are sweet. Are those the ergonomic grips? If so, are they both long or is the right-handed one short to accommodate the shifter.
Not much progress, I mocked up the handlebars and stem:
From the top (I prefer no shoes in my shots :D )
IMG_03121.jpg

Profile:
IMG_03141.jpg

Due purely to funds, I'm going to have to alter the path slightly.
I found a set of brick red 'Grand Tycoon' 2.125's on eBay for $44 w/shipping, so I'm going to go with them. I only plan on owning one black bike someday, it will be THE black dream bike (read as modified Firestone Super Cruiser :wink: ), so this one is going olive green w/brick red tires and cabling. Probably go with honey colored grips and seat, on a lucky 7 seat post (the frame has a shorter top tube than i remember). Red block pedals would be an awesome BONUS.
Well, off to finish stripping the frame down.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Hammond Eggz,
I'm jealous, those are sweet. Are those the ergonomic grips? If so, are they both long or is the right-handed one short to accommodate the shifter.

Thanks, they are GREAT riding bikes.
Yes, they're the ergo grips, and yes, they're both the longer variety - the grip area on those bars is plenty long to accommodate them.

Your changes sound pretty cool. The olive paint with brick tires should look awesome!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Due purely to funds, I'm going to have to alter the path slightly.
I found a set of brick red 'Grand Tycoon' 2.125's on eBay for $44 w/shipping, so I'm going to go with them. I only plan on owning one black bike someday, it will be THE black dream bike (read as modified Firestone Super Cruiser :wink: ), so this one is going olive green w/brick red tires and cabling. Probably go with honey colored grips and seat, on a lucky 7 seat post (the frame has a shorter top tube than i remember). Red block pedals would be an awesome BONUS.
Well, off to finish stripping the frame down.
I feel ya on the funds, I'm running the same tires, not too bad, mine are the standard cruiser diamond tread pattern with a good amount of rubber, they also come in a brick tread pattern. I cruise around town and dirt trails with them and I have no complaints, they're pretty comfy, I do run mine slightly under pressure, they ride nice overall, they're not Franks but good for the price, I like em.

OK, small update.
I've decided to go back to Fat Frank tires, except in brown. Here's the 'new' new plan. Painting the bike olive green with brown grips, seats and rubber. Looking into a single ring crankset and hopefully sprocket from an OCC Stingray. Keep things up front 'clean' by running as much shifter and brake cable through the handlebars as possible (gotta do something custom, right?). Also, found some Diamondback decals on eBay that I can order in brown, still on the fence there, I may order them in red and only use the 'headbadge' decal. Anyway, here's the latest parts and progress pics.
New grips:
ef6a_3.jpg

Frame and fork in paint (stripped both to bare metal, two coats of green self-etching primer, 2 coats of Krylon olive green camo paint, two coats of satin clear).
i-phonepics020.jpg

New 'old' stem from Double Knickle:
i-phonepics019.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: The Amsterback -update 8/20

OK brethren, small update, few pics.
I've been kicking around the idea on the forum of a new diamond frame build, so to be fair, I've kinda stopped building the bike and started collecting parts for it instead.
So, I picked up some truss rods from Double Nickle and a set of 'big old' cruiser bars from harquahalas. The Fat Franks will have to wait until after the family Labor Day vacation, as will the new brake and derailleur cables, brake pads, etc....
I have done one thing though :oops: In order to save $$ for the Schwalbes, I've decided not to not get a new crankset and 'ratify' my existing one instead. I want to only run a single ring in the front, and since the existing set is a cheapo unit with the rings stamped together, I cut the old chain and wrapped it around the outer and inner chainrings.

Kinda made a bashguard or chainguard out of them, here's some pics:
DSCF2154.jpg

DSCF2155.jpg

DSCF2158.jpg

Well, that it's for now...later

Dr. T

deorman said:
Hope it doesn't rub. I guess if your chain line is good it should work. :|

Sounds like you've been thru the same problems that I have. The look is cool but yeah they'll probably rub the drive chain.

Doc, if you can space the sprockets apart a little further it will work but your chain line will change drastically. Good luck!

As far as the tires ..... I've found that sometimes, when bike stores tell you something is a bad product, it's usually because they can't or won't order the product for one reason or another. Your best bet is to listen to your fellow riders/builders and take their opinions as a means of making your decision.

Chainsaw,
I'm running a 6 speed cassette in the rear w/a derailleur, so hopefully I can tweak the chain line. As far as my 'brainstorm' rubbing up front, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I eyeballed it today and it's gonna be pretty close, especially the outer ring. I'm hoping to keep the chain pretty tight and run a short cage on the derailleur to minimize chain 'movement. :roll:
If it's a no go, when it is what it is.

As far as tires, my mind is made up on getting the Fat Franks. Schwalbe is a major player in bicycle tire business, from road bikes to MTB and everything in between. That doesn't happen by producing a sub-standard product. Also, I surf the European bike forums too and FFs are pretty much a standard. I look at like buying Michelin's for your bike. Yeah, they're not cheap, quality rarely is.

Hopefully, I can get the rest of the parts in soon and get this baby running by the end of September. It should be cool enough by then to ride for more than 20 minutes.

Look for updates soon.
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back