****The Better Half**** Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off and my third build since i got back into bikes. The wife asked me to build her a bike hence the name. I had this 48 Columbia built Higgins I picked up in a package deal. I have no idea where I am headed with this but the wife wants it to be "pretty". Out of the blue a tank came available yesterday in the FS section that I purchased that should be here next week. Have a couple of rims from the Electra sale if I can't salvage the drop centers. Well see how it goes. I look forward to watching all the builds and participating with such a talented group op people. Good luck to all!

93D71991-84D2-4307-AE14-27673E193A0B-12172-0000174C680B0B18.jpg

Finished Thread
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=75566

Re: The Better Half

Great to see another Columbia.
Good luck.

Stated working on the fenders, I spent most of Saturday on straightening and body work. Sunday I primed and painted the primary color. Also cleaned up the rims and have them in primer. Guard and fork were painted earlier in the week and I was able to get some accent color on them.
null_zpsd088c98b.jpg

null_zpsb39fd982.jpg

null_zps5cce76c6.jpg

Looks like a candy shop

awsome progress!! love the paint!

Troy

Re: ****The Better Half****

This build has been going slower than I would have liked, busy at work and spent the last couple of weekends changing the timing chains on my daughters car. I was able to get a secondary color on the fenders and some paint on the rims. I'm still not sure if I will go with the painted drop centers or a set I got from the Electra sale that I plan on polishing.
null_zps7356ff4d.jpg

null_zps4cc00fd9.jpg

null_zpsd48f6cc9.jpg

Agreed man, paint looks smooth as glass, the paint on most of these bikes we dig up never looked as good as that does right there :D

Love that color of white, do you mind telling us the name?

Is it rattlecan?

PM me if you want to keep it a secret during the build-off, I'm not entered so.........

Cheers,
Dr. T

Rust-oleum-Almond and Burgundy
null_zps2289cf34.jpg

I think the results come from the prep. I spent a whole day straightening the fenders and filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding.
Then primer and paint followed by wet-sanding, rubbing compound then polishing compound. I always wait about a week for second color to prevent orange peel. Then rubbing compound, polishing compound and finally a good coat of wax.

My wife liked the colors on my other bike but i want to switch them. The frame will be Almond and the darts Burgundy. I am hoping this will make it a little more feminine. Will just have to see how it goes. Here is my bike with similar colors.
null_zps0b918be5.jpg

Had I known there was going to be a Klunker contest, I probably would have waited to build this.

Some more parts painted.
null_zps96732927.jpg

I picked up a tank, one side is really good the other has some surface pitting and a couple of dings to straighten.
null_zps22fd6193.jpg

Starting to lace the wheels, picked up a skiptooth sproket for the 3 speed from Ichibike.
null_zpsad8fac7e.jpg

Latest posts

Back