The Bike That Shelby Built: Vintage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my WBO entry. I believe this bike was Shelby built. Non-wishbone frame. Maybe a Western Flyer at one time? I'm going to throw some Shelby parts at it and see what sticks.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

I have a Shelby fork with truss rods, but I think I am going to go with this Shock-ease fork that I have mostly pieced together.
007.JPG

I also have a girl's Shelby that is ready and willing to give it up. Parts wise, that is.
038.JPG

Looks like a cool build, I'll stay tuned in.

I got pieces of the fork from two different people. The springer guts were long gone. I poked around on the web and came up with this:
First I needed an actual spring. I ordered this one from China. 22mm x 65mm if I recall correctly.
010.JPG
011.JPG

Next I needed a rubber bushing/spacer to sit between the two halves of the fork. I had some 1/2 inch thick rubber that I cut out a piece with a hole saw.
009.JPG

This made the fork look bent when I put it together, so I found a 3/8" piece.
008.JPG

This looks a lot better and the fork has some action in it. The 1/2" piece I had to really crank down on it to get it close to straight.
012.JPG

Still need to cut more threads on the steerer and the upper truss rods.

I got my pivot bolt threaded on both ends for acorn nuts. Baby steps at the moment.
017.JPG
018.JPG

Had to use some modern acorn nuts from a Schwinn exerciser. The original ones have issues, so I used these instead. These have a different thread pitch, but it will be easy enough to switch if I come across an original pair.

Nice work! I still have a Shockeaze Shelby that I want to build out one day.

Time to throw some parts at this thing. I stuck the wheels, crankset and chainguard on as well as the rear fender.
002.JPG

The front bracket on the chain guard didn't line up with the down tube initially. But it looked to have an extra hole so the bracket could be attached in two different positions to fit different frames.
003.JPG
004.JPG

I drilled out the rivets and repositioned everything.
005.JPG
006.JPG

I'll get the rivets back in and it should look pretty good.
012.JPG

Time for a 20 day check update

Latest posts

Back