The build formerly known as Harlequin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

started lacing the front... strange lookin' down at it almost seems centered, but it's pretty close to the same as the rear... smaller hub makes the stagger a bit different.

Carl.

Just got back from 20 minute cruise on this thing... What a workout, note the drive gear is a 48t I think and the rear is an 18. Rolling solo with a heavy bike and bouncing is a thigh blaster. Gear swap time...

Carl.

Last edited:

Put the orig seat post and stem combo back on added some bars and a rear seat too just it case I run into any clowns that need a ride... all for test though I'm not planning on using any of it.

Carl.

Just got back from 20 minute cruise on this thing... What a workout, note the drive gear is a 44t I think and the rear is an 18. Rolling solo with a heavy bike and bouncing is a thigh blaster. Gear swap time...

Carl.
:21:
We need a ride video Carl!

Luke.

Yeeaah... not yet. Edited my earlier post it's a 48t chainring. Found a 19t cog for the rear in my stash, ONE tooth made a negligible difference. Got all Googled up last nite and learned about BCD and that my frame is a one year only "Columbia Classic" 1985, which just means that when I get around to :eek: cutting the frame, I'll use new blades instead of hacking it up...;) Got a smaller chainring coming. Going to do some more internet shopping this morning, see what I can find. I do think I'm going to keep the og cranks, this thing had a ton of clearance and seems to be fine when hopping...

Carl.

Little red 38t chainring came yesterday so it's on tonight. What a difference! Now it's clown school and we can ride easy... 48t to 38t...

The connecting chainrings are 39t or 40t really doesn't matter but it's just a hair bigger than the drive ring... and whew them chains are close!

I didn't get a before pic but the og drive ring was as big as the first bevel in the guard, and now the little red 38t ring is hiding behind the connecting ring.

Wow! I'm glad I have solid posts coming from slowrider... look at the bend that's beginning to form from the force of my tail bouncing off the seat when this thing hops...

I can't imagine riding this without a springer seat...
BUT, we've been having a blast riding this thing around the block, my neighbors gotta think we're nuts but Friday night my little sister was here for her big 50 B-day and my two youngest kids (15 & 19) We were riding all the crazy bikes around the hood... Headbanger and Fruit Krate were rollin', but sis liked SGT.ROCK the best...

Carl.

Last edited:
Be careful with that seatpost. We are all anxious to see the ride video!!!!

Looking good! This thing must be nuts when it is rolling!

Luke.
Remember them old Ford pickup truck commercials where they're cruisin' down a road made of logs, and the suspension is taking all the bumps but the cab is riding smooth? Well. this thing has no suspension...
Actually it's a lot of fun to try to get it goin' fast, feels kinda like what I'd imagine a horse jockey would feel, ya gotta stay up on the pedals tho...lol!

Carl.:crazy:

Got all Googled up last nite and learned about BCD and that my frame is a one year only "Columbia Classic" 1985, which just means that when I get around to :eek: cutting the frame, I'll use new blades instead of hacking it up...;)
:rofl:

Carl, this should be a great parade bike! Of course, you two will have to be dressed as jesters....video of this is must see TV!! Gonna look for that praise band tag now....:rofl:

Carl, this should be a great parade bike! Of course, you two will have to be dressed as jesters....video of this is must see TV!! Gonna look for that praise band tag now....:rofl:
That is definitely the plan. (I actually have a Jester's hat, can you believe that?) Also why I've held off on roller vids till I can get some more done... I'm also at a cash squeeze, nothin' bike related for a bit. I have found a welder but it's 220v so I have to get more power out to the garage... I may build a 30 ft 10 ga cord from the dryer outlet in the basement... gotta check amperages.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back