The Butcher

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
yes im in, and i do have an idea. hack up a free schwinn exersizor frame. im going to build it as low as possible, and i have to use a three speed hub so i can use that indian head for a shift knob. and i dont think im going to paint it so the knob will match the coppertone paint(my FAVORITE schwinn color). but im going to need another donor schwinn.. a whole one. mwahahahahaha.. 8)

cool! can ya share? :D i want to use the forks but have no real idea on how to go about it.

well i hit a bit of a snag.. i ran out of wire.. again.. cuz my brother tried his hand at welding and burned up almost half the roll on one table leg.. :x :roll: so i gotta go get more when i get my check this thursday. anybody know of a place where you can get a bigger roll? im guessing wire is priced the same as everything else.. in bulk its a bit cheaper.

brilliant! and ill get pics tomorrow after school. :)

well a bit of progress. not much done welding wise, but rather just gathering parts. total cost of the bike is still 0. :mrgreen: been real busy with school, tons of hw and have just had barely any time to work on it.

got some work done on it finally, and finished my drawing of it, promply drawn on the back for a notebook. :D so everyone can see what im goin for.
img063.jpg

got a schwinn rear triangle cut out and got my springer, got a speedo started, and makin progress! will post pics of a mock up soon. hopefully sunday or monday.

hey everybody, whats your best way of setting up a frame? i know, jigs are the best way to go, but a tried them once and my frame was really crooked.

Use a 4' level and a 6' straight edge (Maybe 8-10' for a burrito!) to get your axles precisely aligned and parallel. Mark the center line. Periodically measure the length on both sides to make sure nothing has moved. Works for chopping old motorbikes, ought to work for you. :wink:

sweet! so a line going from wheel to wheel, and line it all up from there? :)

You can set up a jig with or without wheels, I like wheels because you can check your alignment w/string line. (And yer eyeballs :wink: )If you don't have a plumb bob and tripod, just use the level along the center line to establish your steering head and seat post/crank hanger centers. Look past the frame at the wheel and vice versa, like you were aligning the wheels, as you go. If it's off much, you'll see it.

i like the spelling. lol mind if i make that my new sig?

Latest posts

Back