The CL isn't what it used to be...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else miss how the CL operated a couple years ago? Remember when everyone was stuck with having little pics since they uploaded directly through craigslist while you uploaded yours through a 3rd party hosting site and pasted the code that rendered a HUGE image that made your selling status attractive and monopolistic?

Now it seems as though my ads are always get ghosted or my emails do not go through to people, or at best not immediately but rather a few minutes later.

Maybe it's just me but I miss the good old days of the CL.

It was a good run... 8)

The ghost email happens to me all the time, selling and buying. Really pisses me off.

Whenever selling I just put a phone number, saves a lot of headache dealing with spam and idiots but I still get low ballers.

Yup, I noticed all of the above, plus (here in Philly) clist is bombarded with cheap toy store bikes, that makes selling a quality bike really hard as most people know nothing about bikes and would rather spend 40 beans on a used toy store bike that'll (unbeknownst to them) only last them a few months rather than spend 200 on a quality bike that will last them a lifetime, and all the toy store junk listed on a daily basis moves your post to the second, third, forth page in a matter of hours after listing. BTW I too post just a phone number.

I have also found I have better luck selling when I post in surrounding areas as well. I normally run adds in Kokomo, Tippecanoe, and Indianapolis. Then if it's a really nice bike or collectable I post in Chicago too.

My problem with CL is in my area there isnt one, the closest area is over an hour away. When I was in Virginia I bartered and sold stuff on CL all the time and rather miss it.

i request a response with a phone number in my ads.no phone number gets deleted.no problem.
i put my number in an ad once and idiots were calling all night.

i request a response with a phone number in my ads.no phone number gets deleted.no problem.
i put my number in an ad once and idiots were calling all night.

dragnusa said:
My problem with CL is in my area there isnt one, the closest area is over an hour away. When I was in Virginia I bartered and sold stuff on CL all the time and rather miss it.

yep I'm 60 miles south of Chicago, and you'd think I was standing in the middle of a cornfield... nothing around here.

I try to use CL Delaware or Philadelphia & Baltimore (since they're within about an hour drive from here)...
... and everytime I post something "for sale" - OR - "for wanted"...
... I usually get 75 to 100 "spam or scam" emails to every one sincere question!!!

I've also tried Ebay's Kijiji "Local Classifieds" since they have a "page viewed" counter...
... and from what I've seen you are Very Lucky if your item gets looked at 5 times in 3 months - Nobody Uses it!!!

Good Luck!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

Latest posts

Back