The Desert Stormer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My idea was to create a multi-purpose military bike; not exactly a “theme” bike, but its theme is to look real. It is more of a “phantom” model, something that never existed. The bike will be used for exploration, camping and hiking (left behind concealed under a camo net); running errands, pulling a trailer, etc.

This is what I started with, an old and ratty Specialized Rockhopper MTB:

S6006486.jpg

The buildup included completely refurbishing the mechanicals to make it reliable for desert exploration; increasing the cargo capacity with racks, military MOLLE gear and custom parts like panniers and a frame bag. A front light and bar ends make it more versatile and the color scheme helps to blend it with the terrain.

Buildup link: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28556

S6006929.jpg

S6006931.jpg

S6006927.jpg

S6006919.jpg

S6006915.jpg

S6006923.jpg

S6006897a.jpg

S6006900-1.jpg

S6006908.jpg

After being used in Desert Storm for reconnaissance and target laser designation; the old girl was overhauled and repainted and now does security patrol duties at industrial installations near Kuwait city.

S6006926.jpg

S6006930.jpg

S6006921.jpg

S6006914.jpg

S6006912.jpg

Congratulations to all the 2010 participants; live long, ride free!

xddorox said:
Let me tell you I have made a few "army" bikes and this is the best looking one I have ever seen. Congrats. :)
AGGREED!...........Your desert pics should be made into posters.

This bike should be on a recruiting poster. Your design features & details totally capture the desert storm theme.

Thanks for the comments guys! I know its not the usual RRBBO entry; and comparing this bike to some of the others here is like comparing a Humvee to a classic Caddy.

I'm glad I was able to make it before the deadline and now that I got this build out of my head I can move on to other ideas; the RRBBOs are turning out to be a good thing for me, if I slowly get parts here and there and build one bike per year my wife won't complain much! :D

Very well done! I have been thinking of doing something similar to ride off road. You have given me a lot of ideas! Your bike and frameteam2003's 'Elgin Old Army" have really established a new level of craftsmanship to shoot for in the military bike category!

Never been big on military builds.............

..........until this year. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
desert stormer and grandpa rockhopper have made me a true believe in both the military theme's
and diamond frame contenders.

time to do that happy dance! :)

Latest posts

Back