The Flying Dutchman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a Dutch-framed racer. Really cool!

Ok, officialy done. I went to take pics, took them and as I sat home browsing through the pics I found a few things I could have done better. For example as I used regular brake pads with the modern "bullet" nuts I realized I could have used the same to attach the brake itself to the fork:
brake 1.jpg

So I redid them and went and took more photos...
brake 2.jpg

Also this:
seat 1.jpg

Once seen it can't be unseen so...
seat 2.jpg

And yes, there is one on the other side too:
seat left.jpg

These can't be even seen normally, you'd have to specifically look under the seat, but I made the pic to show the undercarriage and realised they'd be on display.

Last edited:
This one is my favourite:
index.php

I like how the pavement adds a lot of depth to the picture and in the same time keeps the background almost kind of inobtrusive and makes the colour of the bike pop.
Now if you could manage to retake the picture in a way that no sky is visible above the brick wall it would be just the perfect money shot...
But that's just my two cents... :wink1:

This is actually a wall, I will just crop the pic a little:
no wall.jpg

I like that angle too, I was rather thinking of this one:
20190829_174019.jpg
... but not sure yet, I will have to sleep on it because I like the rear angles as well.
I edited the previous post because I was thinking of your last photo (the widescreen one), have a look at how lighting can be used:
20190829_163903.jpg

I won't use it for the vote pic because it kills my colors, but it could work pretty good on your frame and fenders

I really like the 'Orson Wells' shot! Whatever that means. :rofl:

Seriously, that photo has a lot of appeal. Nice , classic, look to this vintage fresh build!

I am a film buff and also like to read. So this "Orson Wells shot" is about Orson Welles, I misspelled his name. I admit I am not into his movies, too vintage for me. But Welles was a very important director, called the ultimate author - at 26 he co-wrote, starred in, directed and produced "Citizen Kane" which is often considered the greatest film of all time - I disagree :D
What I like about the guy is he was very ressourceful and willing to experiment. One of his techniques was the Low angle shot. Psychologically, the effect of the low-angle shot is that it makes the subject look strong and powerful. In Citizen Kane there was one shot he wanted to have at such a low angle that a hole was dug for the camera, which required drilling into the concrete floor:
Citizen-Kane-Filming-Low-Angle.jpg

So, there you have it, I was kneeling on the stairs below ground level as I took that extremely low ange pic (because I wanted to get the whole tower with some sky in the pic) so it was my Orson Welles shot.
I sometimes have shots that I call my "Kubrick shot" - this is about Stanley Kubrick (whose movies unlike Welles' I find astonishingly mesmerizing), he loved to use a symmetrical shot, ("One point perspective") and I happen to love symmetry. Have a look at these shots:
KUBRICK-ONE-POINT-PERSPECTIVE.jpg

kub2.jpg

This also explains why I love Mercedes-Benz and why five of the six cars I have owned have been Benz. Look at the how centered and symmetrical the interior has been designed:
w201 (Mercedes 190)
w201.jpg
w124 (the model from which the E-Class evolved)
w124.jpg
w202 (the first C-Class)
w202.jpg
w210 (E-Class)
w210.jpg

Now have a look at that one, I don't find it that appealing because of the way the air vents and the center console are offset:
w140 (S-Class)
w140.jpg

Which is a shame because this modern engineering marvel's body happens to be one of my most favorite Merc bodies:
029080505-big.jpg
029080506-big.jpg

I never owned an S-Class though, way out of my price range.
Oops, once I start talking it is hard to make me stop :D

Attachments

• w140.jpg
    w140.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Yaaayyy design lessons! Kubrick is one of my all time favorites! The "War Room" set from Dr Strangelove was so convincing, that one president, first day on the job, wanted to see it, thought it actually existed! If you are a fan of conspiracies, there is a theory that Kubrick was the one who filmed the fake moon landing after finishing 2001. (I enjoy conspiracy theories for the comedy aspect, ditto for Ancient Aliens!)
As for churches vs religion, I have learned that regardless of views of the institution, churches are where humanity created some of their greatest architecture.
Mr Toro, I think you and I have a few things in common...

It's funny you say that, I'm the same way with Eyes Wide Shut. Not so much into the story, but the picture... Some of the lighting and colors in the skies, it almost brought tears to my eyes. Might be because it's the only one I got to see in the theatre.

I am a film buff and also like to read. So this "Orson Wells shot" is about Orson Welles, I misspelled his name. I admit I am not into his movies, too vintage for me. But Welles was a very important director, called the ultimate author - at 26 he co-wrote, starred in, directed and produced "Citizen Kane" which is often considered the greatest film of all time - I disagree :D
What I like about the guy is he was very ressourceful and willing to experiment. One of his techniques was the Low angle shot. Psychologically, the effect of the low-angle shot is that it makes the subject look strong and powerful. In Citizen Kane there was one shot he wanted to have at such a low angle that a hole was dug for the camera, which required drilling into the concrete floor:
View attachment 102773
So, there you have it, I was kneeling on the stairs below ground level as I took that extremely low ange pic (because I wanted to get the whole tower with some sky in the pic) so it was my Orson Welles shot.
I sometimes have shots that I call my "Kubrick shot" - this is about Stanley Kubrick (whose movies unlike Welles' I find astonishingly mesmerizing), he loved to use a symmetrical shot, ("One point perspective") and I happen to love symmetry. Have a look at these shots:
View attachment 102774
View attachment 102775
This also explains why I love Mercedes-Benz and why five of the six cars I have owned have been Benz. Look at the how centered and symmetrical the interior has been designed:
w201 (Mercedes 190)
View attachment 102778 w124 (the model from which the E-Class evolved)
View attachment 102776 w202 (the first C-Class)
View attachment 102779w210 (E-Class)
View attachment 102780
Now have a look at that one, I don't find it that appealing because of the way the air vents and the center console are offset:
w140 (S-Class)
View attachment 102781
Which is a shame because this modern engineering marvel's body happens to be one of my most favorite Merc bodies:
View attachment 102783 View attachment 102784
I never owned an S-Class though, way out of my price range.
Oops, once I start talking it is hard to make me stop :D

16195353_399230343751589_697996525592538491_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back