The Flying Yard Sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. It should be a fun ride. The skeeters are bad in the country but not so sad in town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Kingfish I'm having some handlebar issues. I goofed around on the welder today and chopped a straight bar and an old moon to make a wide track type bar. The spread is 29". 70% angle on the handles. It needs some clean up. I just got a new welder and was attempting to dial it in.
IMG_5305_zpsrqmtyiuc.jpg

IMG_5307_zpsadzov2fz.jpg

Still not sold on them though they are pretty comfy. I have two other sets of bars coming in. One is a WWII original set. I am not too much on riding with a straight back anymore. I kinda slouch and put a lot of weight forward.

Christmas came early this year. Thanks Rat Rod Store for the Boa-G's! And I'd better hide the receipt before the wife gets back from Germany. I am so psyched to get the rims back from Tim my powder coater. Once the shop gets it laced up I'm able to get this project moving in a hurry.
8e4fe234-5d97-4ea3-ab8d-e91525c19868_zpsoznwikyw.jpg

First time I have seen teh brown BOAs. Can't wait to see them on the wheels.

Had some lunchtime fun today while I was looking for parts and gingerbread. I found a cache of Vietnam era Purple Hearts and am in the process of reuniting them with their recipients and or next of kin.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Please don't mind the junk. Tomorrows clean-up day. I am widening the rear CS & SS for the rims and fender. I am also taking a look at the geometry of the rear end just a bit in regard to the wheelbase.

IMG_5282_zpsfydkrfsd.jpg

29dc3e58-1943-43d2-b37a-eef13726ab05_zpsxvq4dbog.jpg

IMG_5310_zpsgkmqyofd.jpg
That took guts, only a real man would have the sisu to chop that frame.

It's been a long hard week. I've had three days worth of migraines. I get them now after gaining a brain injury in combat. Too much "boom boom." Half my Masters Degree is floating in the ozone above Afghanistan as we BLOG. Migraines, then my basement flooded out - sump pump died. Had to cut and drag out carpet...alone. Had some good news this morning as I was contacted by one of the Purple Heart medal recipients. It looks like we found the family on one of these medals. The warrior died in March and will be buried in Arlington in mid July. We'll make sure the wife has it before the ceremony. Sorry, not bike stuff but had to share.
20150611_130628_zpsobl60mid.jpg

I am waiting for my rims to get back from the powder coater. It's been over a week. I was able to work on welding my bike back together. First I had to round out the tubing where it originally was bent.
IMG_5311_zpsim8kdhea.jpg

I worked some tension pins in between the tubing and the spacer tubing.
IMG_5312_zpso27yrgt5.jpg

IMG_5313_zps5kra0pkb.jpg

IMG_5316_zpspjamdqla.jpg

Next I put together a brace to hold everything together. I spaced the dropouts at 5 1/2 inches to take in the Strumey Archer Hubs and measured everything out by triangulation. Everything measures out true. I could tell upon chopping this bike that it has undergone surgery in the past. I'm keeping the fingers crossed.
IMG_5314_zpseyltumnv.jpg

IMG_5315_zpsxtvayjki.jpg

I popped the BOA-G's on an old set of rims and set them into the frame. I will have to give the tire a bump to get the hub axel around the lower tip of the dropout but once its in I have about an inch of clearance all around.
IMG_5317_zpsnxgxjljh.jpg

Results will be posted tomorrow.

First off, thanks for your service to our country! Sorry to hear about your migraines.
Second, I think it is awesome what you are doing with the Purple Heart Medals!!! BRAVO!!!
Third, It's fun to see a picture of a mad scientist at work in his laboratory!

I've got a bit more to go on the frame. For a welder, I make a pretty good social worker. The mig is doing fine but it's been a while for this guy. Taking my time on it, checking the geometry. I have some questions in regard to the Strumey Archer hub as it seems to mount a bit off center but I think that's normal-?

I had some packages come in and also got my rims back from the powder coater. Tim does great work but shame on Prisma for selling what they call "Camo Green." I should have gotten a swatch first. In my 22 years in the military I've never seen little pixy sparkles worked into any camouflage color (except for a girl named Audry and buddy, if Audry was being shipped I would have paid double and bought Tim half a warm beer. Anyway, I can work with it I'm just a bit put off.

The WWII Torrington handlebars came in along with a 28" drop stand with ears and a fender clip.
I like these handlebars and have half a mind to invert them for a board track stance. For some reason I feel like inverting these is like modding out my Grandfather's bicycle. Such a weird vibe.

IMG_5318_zpsj8er2ucq.jpg

IMG_5320_zpszdmc0fuz.jpg

63302a8d-1ac8-4bab-8068-97feb394aa9c_zpsgqpza6oe.jpg

IMG_5326_zpspfazw5u6.jpg
IMG_5327_zpspebscsrn.jpg

IMG_5328_zpsrhoob8tm.jpg

Latest posts

Back