The Flying Yard Sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandpa did time in the army,navy,air force, and marines. Career man with some serious fortitude,but he'd be all about chop it til it fits.

My grandpa did time in the army,navy,air force, and marines. Career man with some serious fortitude,but he'd be all about chop it til it fits.

Thanks Falstaff. Your Grandfather sounds like a wonderful man. I'm having fun with it. Even with the mix in generational parts it seems to blend together.

I'm still in this! It's been a suck fest week. I've had to get new fenders. I attempted to work a line of rivets along the sides of the fenders to resemble an aircraft fuselage. In the end they looked more like octopus tentacles. Maybe if I'm doing some pirates of the Caribbean theme but not for this.

Still looking for the right type of od green paint. Colorado Springs is a city with five military bases, you'd think that would be a no brainer. Sand and loam color is the military rage now. What the heck is loam anyway?

Had trouble removing the old bb bearing cups. Used a brass rod and rubber mallet to tap them out. First one came out no problem. Second one shot across the garage and landed dead center in a cardboard box I was using to hold my old Delta Super Bright light. Busted the glass lens into four prefect pie cuts. Bang, more money trying to find a replacement for that. Blood sweat and tears, oh my!

I have a wall that I nail pieces all of my screwed up build attempts in life. It has a sign saying offerings to the gods of all mistakes and costly learning experiences. This bike ain't getting nailed to that wall this week my friends.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I too had trouble finding the right "OD Green" paint for my 1942 Huffman military bike. I finally went with AREVOE Olive Drab (34087) spray can paint (I found at my local hardware store???) Its almost a perfect match to those Torrington handlebars.

I too had trouble finding the right "OD Green" paint for my 1942 Huffman military bike. I finally went with AREVOE Olive Drab (34087) spray can paint (I found at my local hardware store???) Its almost a perfect match to those Torrington handlebars.
Awesome perfect. I found a shop that carries that type of paint. This week I'm hoping to gain some ground on the build. Thanks buddy! [emoji1]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm back in the garage after spending a few days in the mountains with military families who are in recovery from various effects of war. We had some very nice views of the wild life to include daily visits from moose.
IMG_5352_zpsvvrl5zvg.jpg

Originally, I planned on making a fiberglass tank. After measuring my decals and the amount of space left for lettering, I decided to cover the top tubes in 22ga sheet metal and rivets and blend the metal edges with Lab Metal.
IMG_5367_zpsucpdnaj5.jpg

IMG_5361_zpsanzsvcgd.jpg

IMG_5362_zpsa1tpszfc.jpg

IMG_5368_zpsxcxyzj9c.jpg

Thanks again, Fordsnake for the advice on paint. I purchased several cans and the color is outstanding. I have my rims back and am applying the initial coats on all components and accoutrements.
IMG_5363_zpsyz8nnpkp.jpg

IMG_5364_zpsb1hqwinr.jpg

IMG_5366_zpsowyy8f7x.jpg

I use Renascence Man's patina work on "Spaceliner" as a benchmark standard to come up to. I'm beginning to apply the patina on small parts and am liking the results. I still am nervous about the immense patina job ahead of me. The biggest issue I have is the application of primer (which sticks out like a sore thumb) and the iron powder. This is a learn as you go issue.
IMG_5372_zpstcumkwtf.jpg
IMG_5373_zpsv3rnaosp.jpg

Nice job on the patina and the riveted tank is going to be very cool!

That really sucks about busting the lens, I hope you can locate another one quickly.

Thanks, I did find one. I'm painting the "cat eye" covering on it now. The new one is completely clear with no diffusion channels so I think it may work a bit better.

I like the tank work you have going on there.

Latest posts

Back