The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked the basic design of the Retro Racer so I want to build a similar bike for myself. The Retro Racer was made on commission. Anyway, I don't wanna make the exact same bike twice, so I've done some changes to the design. I've tried to incorporate a little of the look of a modern roadracer motorcycle mixed with parts with an old looking design. Got some inspiration when I was watching Superbike or Moto-gp on Eurosport a while back. So I designed this bike to have a lower stance and a slightly more compact look. It will only have one top tube, not two parallell ones like the Retro. This is because I think one tube will work better with the paint scheme I have in mind for it.
Well I can't wright down all the stuff I've already worked out in my head for this bike (because in there it's already finished!!)...that would take up precious building time! :lol:

Here's the basic sketch of the design:
skiss.jpg

I'm using the seat from the Mustang. It's exactly the kind of seat I wanted for this bike!! :D With springs but not wide.
sadel1.jpg

I love a well designed and constructed piece! This seat is made of two seat pans. I'll just make a new seat cover and reassemble it and then it's done!
sadel2.jpg

sadel3.jpg

Now I'll go home and clearcoat the J.B.40! Hope to be back with progress pics soon...:D

That is a mighty big sprocket in your sketch. Are you going to make that as well? I have been curious about making one, but haven't had a need to yet. I like your bike already.

Thanks guys! :D

bikebuilder: The sprocket will be regular size, or what I should call it. In fact there will be two of them cause it's going to be a 10-speed. The circle in the picture is the radius of the cranks. I draw it in to make it easier for me to see the ground clearance when I design the bike.

Gold Street Customs: Now you're putting pressure on me!! :lol:

Yeah, it's a good help when making the design! Not only for the ground clearance but for knowing where the chainstays needs to narrow to allow room for the cranks.

Did the seat for the 18 last night. :D

Stitched together strips of black and brown vinyl.
sadelverdrag2.jpg

Drew the shape on the back, plus 1cm seam allowance.
sadelverdrag1.jpg

Then cut it out and stitched it together with the sidepiece (which was actually to halves joined at the front and back).
sadelverdrag3.jpg

No rivets on this seat. Glue. The bottom seatpan will then clamp it together.
sadelverdrag4.jpg

First try.
sadelverdrag5.jpg
sadelverdrag6.jpg

Couldn't live with those wrinkles so I took it apart and stretched the cover a little more.
Ah, peace of mind! :)
sadelverdrag7.jpg

sadelverdrag8.jpg

sadelverdrag9.jpg

sadelverdrag12.jpg

sadelverdrag11.jpg

sadelverdrag10.jpg

Next thing to do is to cut up the donorbike....

That's all for now! :D

Thanks guys!! :D

bighit said:
now thats going the extra mile.

Yeah, but if I know myself right those wrinkles would have annoyed me violently in the long run and then I would have ended up redoing it anyway... :lol:

Today I started to strip down the donorbike, an old 10-speed DBS.
Wheels already removed.
donatorn.jpg

When it came to removing the second pedal trouble began. It was the left one, with the reverse thread, so I made sure several times that I was trying to turn it the correct way. But it was stuck. Sprayed on some 5-56 (to solve the rust). Still wouldn't budge. Beat the wrench with a hammer. Nothing. Remembered someone saying somewhere "when something doesn't work, use a bigger hammer" so I tried that. Then this happened:
jvelskap1.jpg

Yepp, it broke. :roll:
Luckily I had another DBS bike with the same type of cranks (well I've actually got two of them...) so I thought I'd use those. When I tried to remove the bearingcups to get the crank out it was stuck too and the tool I made for those kind of cups broke. :(
jvelskap2.jpg

I guess since I made it I can fix it, but it didn't feel like the highlight of the day.
Anyway, that's when I ran out of patience...
jvelskap3.jpg

Got the cranks out and they fit the other bottombracket like a match made in heaven...or Norway at least! :wink:

So now I've got all the parts I need to start making the frame.
delarna.jpg

I'll try to get going on building the frame tomorrow! :D

Oh, forgot to mention that I ended up using the forkstem from the other bike as well. The one on the original donorbike had bad threads... Can't believe I wrote an extra post just to say that! :roll:

jeez man.. get it together.. :wink: we all forget things.. even wise people like you. well i think you handled the tear-down very well. 8) bike is off to a good start! good to hear your finally making a bike for you.

stretch said:
jeez man.. get it together.. :wink: we all forget things..

:lol: Good to hear!

stretch said:
good to hear your finally making a bike for you.

Yeah, I've figured out what I want for myself and now I'm really excited to finally build it! :D 28" 10-speed wheels with drumbrakes...mmm! Cream tires...mmm! A nicely shaped frame and fork...mmm! Nice colour combo and stripes...mmm! :wink: :lol:

No, can't sit by the computer any longer! Got a frame to build!!! :D

See ya!

Some progress! :D

What I did the day before yesterday:

Rear dropouts. I think I've shown you before how I make them but I'll post it anyway.

Firts I drill some holes.
dropouts1.jpg

Roughly cut to shape with the grinder.
dropouts2.jpg

Clamp them together and then some grinding and filing...
dropouts3.jpg

...and then they're done!
dropouts4.jpg

Got the jig set up!
rambygge1.jpg

Then I went on to start bending the tubes. I'm using slightly smaller diameter tubes for the chainstays on this bike than the previous ones.
rambygge2.jpg

Yesterday I did this:

Continued bending tubes...
rambygge3.jpg

To help getting a smooth and even bend I make marks on the tube.
rambygge5.jpg

Then I've also made marks on the bender to help me aim.
rambygge4.jpg

Then I start at one end and go mark by mark to the other end. At every mark I pump the lever until I can feel that the tube is just about to start to bend, then I keep count of how many pumps I bend the tube to make sure the bend comes out even.
rambygge6.jpg

rambygge7.jpg

To make the sharp bend I cut a piece out of the tube and bent it, then welded it.
rambygge8.jpg

rambygge9.jpg

All tubes for the frame bent! :)
rambygge10.jpg

I taped a string to the jig to help seeing if everything is set up straight.
rambygge11.jpg

Mitered tube.
rambygge12.jpg

First tube tack-welded, checking with the string that everything is still straight.
rambygge13.jpg

Frame taking shape! :D
rambygge14.jpg

rambygge15.jpg

rambygge16.jpg

I couldn't print out templates for mitering the seatstays, cause they're angled on more than one axis, so I had to eyeball that. Then grind off a little and some more eyeballing...and grinding...and eyeballing...and filing...and eyeballing...finally the end of the first seatstay fit the seattube perfectly!
rambygge17.jpg

To save time on the second seat stay I wrapped a piece of paper around the one I already had got right and cut the paper with a sharp knife to make a template. That trick probably saved me an hour!! :D
rambygge18.jpg

The whole frame tack-welded!
rambygge19.jpg

That's where I'm at right now. Today I'll see if I can finish welding the frame and start on the fork! I'm aiming at not using any filler on this bike, so I'd better try and weld pretty good!

Fun fun fun!! :D

another build Galtbacken,awesome.Your design on the seat ,bike frame is excellent,great job,cant wait to see more pics.P.S do you ever sleep? Keep up the good work. 8)

Thanks! :D

nosferatum15115: It'll make my mother proud that you like my stichwork! :)

metalman72: Yepp, I've been known to sleep at times... :lol: I guess my building pace comes in some part from the fact that I don't have wife and kids. If I had, my priorities would be very different!! :)

sensor: Oh, I'm not so sure I'm hero material... :lol:

Ok guys here's more!! :D

Yesterday I finished welding the basic structure of the frame:
rambygge20.jpg

I'm thinking of leaving the welds like this. Gives it a bit of a "performance machine"-look. I haven't decided 100% yet though...
rambygge21.jpg

Then I went on to start fabricating the fork.
Had to make the threaded tube a little longer at the bottom to have something to weld the forklegs to, so I took a tube and drilled a hole straight through it.
gaffelbygge1.jpg

Stuck the threaded tube into it and rolled it on the floor to make sure it was straight before I welded the holes.
gaffelbygge2.jpg

Filed the welds down and the rolled it again to see that it was still straight.
gaffelbygge3.jpg

Some more welding and filing.
gaffelbygge4.jpg

gaffelbygge5.jpg

I had this spacer laying around. I made it for the first fork for the Vincent, but didn't need it when I made the second fork. It was perfect for what I had in mind! Right size and all...and rusty, so I filed some more!
gaffelbygge6.jpg

gaffelbygge7.jpg

Made sure it sat straight and welded it in place.
gaffelbygge8.jpg

Coffeebrake! :D
kaffepaus.jpg

Cut the extension to the length needed...
gaffelbygge9.jpg

...then plugged the end with a sheetmetal...thing. :D
gaffelbygge10.jpg

gaffelbygge12.jpg

I also made the fork dropouts from the same template as for the J.B.40. This fork will look similar to that one. :)
dropouts5.jpg

Today I'll see if I'll be able to finish the fork! :D

See ya!

A couple of days of more building!
Here's what I've done: :)

Bent tubes for the fork.
gaffelbygge13.jpg

Cut both of them in half to get all the bends needed.
gaffelbygge14.jpg

Bottom ends of the fork.
gaffelbygge15.jpg

gaffelbygge16.jpg

gaffelbygge17.jpg

Spotwelded to the dropout.
gaffelbygge18.jpg

A 2" long piece of tube inside the welds for reinforcement.
gaffelbygge19.jpg

Spotwelded to the middle section of the fork.
gaffelbygge20.jpg

Top ends mitered.
gaffelbygge21.jpg

Drilled a hole straight through where the forklegs will be welded on, so that I don't end up making a giant fork shaped maracca.... :wink:
gaffelbygge22.jpg

More spotwelding.
gaffelbygge23.jpg

Fancy hi-tech state of the art fork jig! :D
gaffelbygge24.jpg

Checking that everything is straight with a piece of string.
gaffelbygge25.jpg

Welded! :)
gaffelbygge26.jpg

Welded on a m6-nut as an improvised fender attachment.
gaffelbygge27.jpg

First mock-up! :D
mockup1.jpg

The rear wheel wasn't running dead on straight in the middle of the seatstays, so I finetuned it with this... :)
jrnspett.jpg

Pretty straight. I tweaked it a little bit more after I took this photo and I think it's as straight as I can get it now.
raktbakhjul.jpg

The cranks I got from the other bike turned out to not fit after all. Darn. Plan C...
trampor1.jpg

Had to wonder for a while how to get them off the axle. Tried some gentle persuation with a rubber mallet but with no success. Then I remember seeing this little fellow in the bike-tool box and then it was really easy to get them out.
trampor2.jpg

Yepp, it fits!!! :D
trampor3.jpg

All the parts somewhat cleaned up. Oh, and on the cranks the name "custom" is clearly visible...is it destiny?! :lol:
trampor4.jpg

This'll never work!!! :lol: Have to get new ones...
trampor5.jpg

Here's a little hint on the colours. :)
dckochfrg.jpg

TommyTwoTime, look what I've got!!! :D
hlsg.jpg

That made the fabrication of this really quick and easy! Thanks for the tip! :)
gaffelbygge28.jpg

gaffelbygge29.jpg

Trusses (gotta have 'em!! :D ) spotwelded.
gaffelbygge30.jpg

gaffelbygge31.jpg

I've been thinking about somehow adding reflectors and make them part of the design. I've had a basic idea of what I wanted to do since I started building the bike, and when I got the holesaw the final design fell into place by itself! :)
gaffelbygge32.jpg

gaffelbygge33.jpg

gaffelbygge34.jpg

Adapted the design for the fork as well.
gaffelbygge35.jpg

gaffelbygge36.jpg

I'll wait a while with the rear one, need to see how the fenders will sit first. Talking of fenders, that's what I'm planning to start making today after I've finished welding the fork and reflector attachments! :) Better get going, got some new ideas to try out!! :D

I'll be back soon with more updates!

some very impressive work happening here...i'm even liking the work for the reflectors.
so much work...and very nicely executed. at least you're rememdering to take pics along the way!

Another amazing bike build and very well documented. I have been putting off learning how to weld for years now but after watching your builds, I am going to buy some equipment and start my own projects. You are a great influence on anyone wanting to get into frame building. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back