The garage stool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to do an art project so I made this thing to go in the garage.

183885_1301916245278_1751610005_530698_6724359_n.jpg

188776_1301916365281_1751610005_530699_6657990_n.jpg

X-RAY said:
very creative, are those innertubes for a seatcover?

Yeah, the inner tubes and wheels where throwaways from the local bike shop. I got the crutches at a thrift store.

3/4" ply, 2" foam, some spray adhesive and some staples to make the seat. I only glued on the bottom side of the ply and wrapped the strips of tube over and to the other side.

184846_1301916485284_1751610005_530700_1115486_n.jpg

You know If I used a bit of diamond plate under the plywood and kept a 14mm axle in the upper wheel to bolt the plate to, then bolt the plywood to the plate, I bet I could make one that spins!

i like the adjustable height also. if i were you, id be calling the patent office. :idea: im serious, this could be your big break!

outskirtscustoms said:
You know If I used a bit of diamond plate under the plywood and kept a 14mm axle in the upper wheel to bolt the plate to, then bolt the plywood to the plate, I bet I could make one that spins!

Or you could just get a bearing like is used for boat seats, lazy susans, etc...

Those bearings actually have four mounting tabs on the top and bottom bearing plates.

I've thought about making another that's on rollers and would be much smaller for a mechanic's seat.

X-ray, I saw a picture of one of these on the 'net ages ago but, for some reason, it was made with only three legs. Made no sense to me but from the day I saw it I wanted to make one.

Since I had to do some sort of 3D project for this Art class, I figured now was a good time to build it.

outskirtscustoms said:
I just get a satisfaction out of using real bike parts rather than something that is made to do that.

I just look at it as a durability thing. Build it so it lasts and doesn't have to be fiddled with. When I thought about a swivel the boat seat bearing seemed to be the simplist, most durable way to go.

Thats cool,I know you say garage stool,but i could use four of them for around my kitchen table. 8)

Long&Black said:
X-ray, I saw a picture of one of these on the 'net ages ago but, for some reason, it was made with only three legs. Made no sense to me but from the day I saw it I wanted to make one.

Three legs makes perfect sense. With only 3 legs the chair will not wobble even if the legs are uneven, all legs will be in contact with the ground, unlike a 4 leg stool, table, or chair with an uneven leg.

This stool he made however should have enough flex in it to eliminate wobble.

I wouldn't think that three legs would be as stable as four so I went with four.

I mean chairs, couches, stools all have four legs. If there was something to three legs the world is going to be upset when they realize they've been wasting material. :lol:

Long&Black said:
I wouldn't think that three legs would be as stable as four so I went with four.

I mean chairs, couches, stools all have four legs. If there was something to three legs the world is going to be upset when they realize they've been wasting material. :lol:

No problem with 4 legs, it is more stable as long as you can get them all even, but if you want a simple way to keep it from wobbling, go with 3.

Latest posts

Back