RRBBO13 The Giant Killer - Tapping Out :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting a little late, but it just so happened that when I finally decided to spend some time and money on a bike, the RRBO 13 was happening!
So this will be my first Build Off, and I guess my first "real" build thread on Rat Rods.

My plan is to turn my wife's old beach cruiser into a chopper for myself.

Gonna put some longer forks on. Apes and banana seat are a must. Fatten up the tires.
It's an allu frame, so I think I'm going to strip it to bare metal and leave it at that, but I may paint it if I get real excited. Few other bits and pieces will go on as well.

The brand is a Giant, so I like the name The Giant Killer, but I'm also thinking of calling it Dorothy after my grandmother, for reasons.
Thoughts or suggestions on a name?

Starting point. (forgot to take a photo before I started pulling parts off, so this one is a little older)
giant-bike.jpg

New front end and some tire options. Will take some more parts photos soon.
2 (1).jpg

I like a good S-A hub. Looks great, works great, clean set up and low maintenance. Welcome to the BO!

Those Giant Suedes are pretty nice rides. I can see that being a great chopper platform.

Testing the fit of the seat and 24x3. Plenty of room.
3.jpg

Hoping to ride this bike at @Pookie42 's Tamale Ride on Saturday so I can't do too much work on it just yet.

For now I've got the fork and seat on, leaving the drive train and rear wheel as they are.
2 (2).jpg

The Suede had an unusual (if not rare) 1 1/8th threaded headset. Was a little worried that I'd need to install a whole new headset to take the threadless forks. Thankfully all I needed to do after removing the original forks was swap out the upper race with one I had from a headset that was supposed to go on my mountain bike over a year ago :grin:

My other Giant is going to do some "donating", so it's time to start stripping parts off it.
1 (2).jpg

going to take the nexus 8 speed hub off this, and maybe the whole drivetrain too. I'll probably also borrow the 700 front wheel for Saturday, as I'm sending the 26 off to get laced onto the SA hub.

Spent most of my build time tonight searching for a spoke wrench. So all I got done was take a wheel off a frame, take a tire off a wheel, and most importantly...

... put a new sticker on my road bike!
20180529_235322.jpg

Special delivery from @oldgreaser , talk about premium service. Thanks mate!
View attachment 76735
Now, I should be able to keep working on it tonight.

The surest way I've seen to find a long lost tool, or anything else for that matter, is to buy a new one. Within days the old one usually turns up. :grin:

Latest posts

Back