The Hawkliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm not new to the forum but this is my first build off bike of any sort. I'm excited and my expectations are solidly in check. I have a collection of several hundred bikes and normally I like for my bikes to look their age but ride like new. I like to rehab bikes everyone else has given up on and I have never sold one of my rehabs, something I should probably start doing someday. I don't normally go for full on restorations or new paint custom builds so this will be something new and fun. Worrying about scratching paint on my builds is NOT something I'm used to.

As for the bike, basically I'm going to do a solid black build upon a Sears Spaceliner frame that I bought at Portland last fall for $20. There will be no chrome showing of any sort - no other colors, either - just black on the entire bike. I don't expect this build to be groundbreaking but I do have a few neat twists to add, including a few rare-ish non-Spaceliner parts and pieces, but the bulk of the bike will be straight-up Spaceliner as much as possible.

I am unsure on a few details but I'll figure them out as I go. I have a friend doing the powder-coating on about a dozen parts in the next several weeks and I intend to start working on wheels and several small things prior to receiving those parts back. I'll post some raw images soon.

Thanks for the great contest and good luck to everyone involved!

Here are the bulk of my raw parts waiting to be powder coated. They should be ready in the next 10 days or so. The bars are an early prototype from a young guy who is currently making re-pop Airflow handlebars out of California. I purchased an Airflow set and also included the prototype bars in my order at a nice discount price. I figured the shape of the bars would make for a nice accent to this "space age" bicycle.

Attachments

• 18260688_1510486688961653_1408855810_o.jpg
    18260688_1510486688961653_1408855810_o.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 18318067_1510486885628300_1234972979_o.jpg
    18318067_1510486885628300_1234972979_o.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 255
I'd kill for that chain guard.

I just bought that at the Memory Lane swap meet last week for $5, lol. I originally had set aside a different style Spaceliner guard - the one with the ripply bottom edge - but thought this one would look even better with my build.

Last edited:
SpaceLiners are one of my favorite bikes, tuned in.

I had these fenders powder coated a few years ago for another project but ended up going with a chrome set instead. These will work great on this project. I'm going with a flat black powder coat on the frame, fork, fenders, and a few other odds and ends parts and then most likely a high gloss black on the tank, seat, and chain guard. I think the combination of flat black on the bulk of the bicycle with gloss black on the accenting parts will set it off. I'm hoping anyway!DSC_0323.jpg

I'm not 100% committed to these Thickslick tires since the initial idea was 100% black from road to grips. BUT, I'm thinking that every other thing on the bike black with just the white lettering on the tires may look amazing. I'll wait until I get my frame and other parts before making a final decision but I'm digging how these wheels and tires look together.
DSC_5110.jpg
DSC_5110.jpg
DSC_5112.jpg
DSC_5115.jpg

Sounds like a Darth Vader Liner.

I've always been partial to that 'thickslick' white stylized lettering. I think you'll like it....

I've always been partial to that 'thickslick' white stylized lettering. I think you'll like it....

Thanks! I do love how it looks there on my wheels but I'm just not sure I want any white (or chrome or silver or any other colors or shades!) on this build. But, yeah, the tires just sitting there against the wall look exactly as I was hoping when I bought those Thickslick tires.

Last edited:
Can I ask what the highest PSI is on those tires?

Let me go look at them. I am thinking it's 65. I bought two pairs and just love these things. There are many guys on eBay selling them affordably but one guy sells them for $53-something for a pair shipped.

Latest posts

Back