The Heavy Hillclimber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a huge fan of classic bicycles, I'm also a big fan of vintage motorcycles. After-all, the first motorcycles were basically bicycles with motors right? Back in the 'good ol days' the most souped-up motorcycles competed in events called hill climbs. Basically they started at the base of a big hill and raced to the top, many times losing control of their bikes in the process. The racers were tough, daring men and they had to be to compete. I've decided to dedicate my build to them as I try to create my own hill climber!

Here's some motivational pics(not mine)

Here's the beginnings: An early 40's Sun Racer badged bike

I bought it as a complete bike but I've taken it apart and gotten the frame cleaned up a little. It was covered in green paint and when I began lightly sanding on it the old decals started coming through. I love the patina and that's how I'm keeping it! More to come!

Great inspiration
Great badge
Great bike
Good luck.

Awesome! I will be watching this one for sure.

sweet! i cant wait for updates on this one

This is going to look great! :D Glad your keeping the patina! :wink:

What a great build idea! I've seen many bikes made to look like classic motorcycle, but never a hill climber!

It's okay if you mess up. It looks like you have another one on the other table. :)

So I've noticed that all the old hill climb motorcycles had a cool springer front end...so my hill climb bike will too! I've looked at getting a Monark dual spring fork but they're pretty expensive, so I thought "why not build my own"! I found some valve springs from an old Dodge engine I rebuilt and welded 3 together. Next I got some steel rod and bent it to match the bend in the forks. Then I brazed on a plate that the spring will push against. Here's what I've got:
The beginnings of the springer fork

Intermediate stage

Final stage installed on bike

There's still some finishing touches that need to be made to the forks but the bike is coming along nicely!

streetrod said:
So I've noticed that all the old hill climb motorcycles had a cool springer front end...so my hill climb bike will too! I've looked at getting a Monark dual spring fork but they're pretty expensive, so I thought "why not build my own"! I found some valve springs from an old Dodge engine I rebuilt and welded 3 together. Next I got some steel rod and bent it to match the bend in the forks. Then I brazed on a plate that the spring will push against. Here's what I've got:
The beginnings of the springer fork

Intermediate stage

Final stage installed on bike

There's still some finishing touches that need to be made to the forks but the bike is coming along nicely!
Make sure you box in the bottom of the original forks axle slot so it can't drop/pull out of the slot.

Make sure you box in the bottom of the original forks axle slot so it can't drop/pull out of the slot.

That will be the finishing touch to these forks! I'll probably drill a hole through each leg for the bolt to go through. Pics should be added soon, I'll be working on the bike today!

Nice work on that springer!

sweet bike man

Here's an update on the Heavy Hillclimber! I've been busy painting and adding parts and it's almost finished!

Since it's got New Departure black-out hubs I added a blacked-out crank. I also put on some old grips but I may change them out. I'm also not sure if I want to leave the rear fender chrome or paint it to match the rest of the bike :? . Just about there though!

Latest posts

Back