The Heavy Hillclimber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow you found a way to make this build even cooler!

On your first picture post, I recognized one of the heavy hillclimber drivers. He was sponsored by Harley Davidson back in the day and they had a bronze statue made of him that's located near the entrance to the museum.

On your first picture post, I recognized one of the heavy hillclimber drivers. He was sponsored by Harley Davidson back in the day and they had a bronze statue made of him that's located near the entrance to the museum.

That's so cool! I'd love to visit the museum some day, maybe even take this bike along too!

Talk to us about you antiquing techniques......you've got some serious skills! I really like this bike!

Talk to us about you antiquing techniques......you've got some serious skills! I really like this bike!

Thank you, glad you like it! I really don't do anything too crazy to get that patina look. For the tank and fender I got some spray paint that closely matched the original patina colors and sprayed one color on top of another(in this case dark brown and kelly green). After they dry I lightly sanded in various spots to reveal the color underneath. I used a sanding pad, I think 220 grit, much like a Scotch Brite pad to do this. I also bought some model car paint and mixed the colors to get an even closer match to the original patina. I also used steel wool in some spots to give it a worn/scratched look. It really just takes time and a willingness to try something new. Thanks for the compliments!

So I went for a ride the other day and took some pics. Still trying to find a nice big hill to get that classic hill climb shot...

Lookin great!

That faux sprocket looks good but I'd like to see you build a second wheel that actually uses a large sprocket for some real hill climbing! You could swap it back for cruising.
...It would be a hassle to have to change chains but it would be neat to see what it would do.

Or if you really wanted to pursue the idea, you could have a large and small on both front and rear that you could swap the same chain over by loosening the rear wheel.

Ideas are cheap! :p

Great pics.
I love the look of this build!!!

Latest posts

Back