the ISLANDER,...Schwinn Cal Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
School just got out and I haven't started my summer job yet, so why not enter the build off?
I bought this bike off ebay almost a year ago and haven't done anything to it since. Supposedly it came straight from the beach and it definitely has the rust for it.
I didn't want to change it much from how I got it. So I'll be keeping the original paint and a lot of the original parts to keep that crusty, sunbaked beach feel.

My plan is to throw on some gold Ukais, save these Arayas for another build, and set it up as a 5 speed. And I just bought these forks that'll go on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-ISLANDER-BMX ... 7675.l2557
It's gonna be an awesome summer rider! 8)

If you decide not to change that bike I have a set of gold KKT lightning pedals that would be perfect for it except they are 9/16. They could be yours for the low low price of a new pair of orange vp-747 bear claws. Message me if you ar interested.

thebigorangecat said:
I sure like those bars and stem!
yeah, its a tuf neck stem and what I'm pretty sure are tuf neck bars. I'll need new bolts for the stem, I think I saw some floating around here on the for sale section...

Yup... well, I'm planning on refinishing the Araya's because they're pretty faded. Maybe blue? This ukai set is already set up as a 5 speed and its the wider 2.125" so I thought it would be more cruiserish.

Got the fork yesterday, and it fits!
There is more paint damage on it than in the ebay pics but it'll work.
I also decided to make it a 10 speed using schwinn varsity parts i had laying around.
Here's a quick mock up of my idea.

Not much to update, I really need to buy parts before I can do anything.
But I trashed the whole 10 speed idea. Instead I think I'll use the original rims and lace up a drum brake to the rear. I just need to find one. :D

Here's a crude drawing/trace of how it should look,...you can see I've changed my mind a lot.

Latest posts

Back