The Life Saver: 1971 AMF Renegade 3

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by CRASH, Oct 8, 2018.

1. CRASH

CRASH

I'm going through some difficult personal times, but since I have till February, I'll throw my hat in the ring and do what I can when I can. I start a new job on the 15th, so I've taken some time since the 1st to tinker around. Here we go.

Here's what I'm starting with. This is a picture of how it was found in the barn. It's pretty crusty.

[​IMG]

2. CRASH

CRASH

I tore it down and found that the seat post was seized. I tried my tricks, but the cheap post actually tore off right at the frame opening! So, this is going to take some work.

[​IMG]

Scribble and Glen like this.
  3. CRASH

CRASH

The fork is bent back pretty good. I'll see if I can salvage it.

Glen likes this.
  4. Glen

Glen

Looks like a great contender for a CRASH re-do :thumbsup:

If you take care of yourself in your tough times and stick to your "do what I can when I can" mentality, you'll get it done. :nod:

Glen.

5. OddJob

OddJob

I hope this build can be therapeutic for you. A post breaking off at the seat tube isn't exactly the way you would like it to start, but as Glen mentioned, hang in there. In every sense of the phrase.

6. CRASH

CRASH

Took the fork to a press. It looks straight. Testing will prove or disprove that theory.

[​IMG]

7. Funkme

Funkme

Good to see you are in again. We always need the king of muscle in a build-off.

LukeTheJoker, Muttley and OddJob like this.
  8. Old Scool

Old Scool

Totally get it, have been there now going on two years, reason I didn't jump in last years build off. But I'm picking up a bike for the first time in a while in Indianapolis this weekend and hoping to jump in myself.

CRASH, OddJob and GuitarlCarl like this.
  9. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

I know the rat look drives you nuts. I look at the fork tube and see the og gold paint and think "Man that bike IS crusty..." It'll be amazing to see the transformation from crust to cake. I still remember you reaching out to help me in my first build here, that just happened to be a MBBO. Thanks again!

Carl.

CRASH likes this.
  10. CRASH

CRASH

It did have a nice yellow/green metallic, but I'm taking it a whole new direction.

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  11. CRASH

CRASH

I didn't get pictures of the process, but had a friend help me with the seat post removal. We welded a piece of scrap metal to the edge, then heated up the tube, then pounded the heck out of it to break it loose. It gave, and came out. I took a pipe and wrapped sand paper around it and reamed out the inside as best I could. I stripped down the frame and added the new post.

[​IMG]

12. Alan Griffin

Alan Griffin

Glad to see you got that seat post out! This should be fun build to watch!

13. CRASH

CRASH

Started some mocking up. The original chain guard was toast, so I had to buy a "new" one. I have been using some pics I found on the net as reference, and it turns out that the frame I have, and the frame I have pics for, are slightly different. As you can see, the chain guard/fender brace mounting tab is set back in the reference pic, so the chain guard fits behind the seat stay.

[​IMG]

Well, no such luck with my frame.

[​IMG]

So, I had to improvise with some metal fab work.

[​IMG]

So there we go.

[​IMG]

The rear fender braces are also a bit long, so I'll have to do something about that to get the fender to mount correctly around the wheel.

14. CRASH

CRASH

I tried out the fork. While it doesn't show well in the pic, the bladed point the wheel crooked. I think a replacement fork will be easier than trying to salvage this mess.

Maybe a drag fork?

[​IMG]

15. CRASH

CRASH

@JNOACK , recognize the tires? :D

16. OddJob

OddJob

Crash, can you cold set the fork dropouts? That fork looks pretty cool. The crown has a nice look to it.

Glen likes this.
  17. CRASH

CRASH

They are a dime a dozen. I'll find another one pretty quick.

18. Glen

Glen

:rolleyes: Phhhht... "dime a dozen"... not where I live they're not. o_O Like hens teeth here :chicken: In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bike with a fork like that here at all :39: Guess it's like water... some places have none and are in drought while others have too much and are in flood.

Oh well, nevermind... we all make do with what we have access to and if you have access to copious amounts of cool forks, I'm happy for you. :happy:

Looking forward to seeing this new colour direction... any hints?

Glen.

19. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Clean and fresh starting point now compared to the crusty muscle it was. Looking good so far. Cool tires too.

20. JNOACK

JNOACK

Yes, I'm glad to see you're putting them to good use!! They cleaned up nicely!! Should have kept them :)