The Mojito- It's a roller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jeez, wake up this morning and I'm already way behind so I figured I'd least make up a name for it. It will definitely be green so The Mojito it is. As far as what it is, or will be is another matter. The frame is a Murray cruiser of some sort (no model name on it, undetermined age) that will hopefully become some sort of klunkery-cruisery thing. I don't need to go to heavy on the klunker aspect since we literally have no hills here but I want to incorporate some front shocks in it. The rest will be played by ear. I'll try to grab some pics of the frame tonight when I get home.

Re: The Mojito

Good luck with your KCT.

Here' s the skeleton of The Mojito. Figured out it's a Murray Monterey frame. I decided on it based solely on the rear drop outs. Hit the first snag with the left side pedal being locked up tight. Hopefully some time snuggling with some PB Blaster will loosen it up. Stripping paint sucks, might shave to spring the 40 bucks and have it media blasted.

murray.JPG

Ordered handlebars and the mandatory beach accessory, AKA cup holder. Hopefully the Manitou shocks I got dropped off in my office today will fit the head tube. Next purchases: threadless headset and stem (contigent on the fork fitting) and paint. I really should be trying to flip some bikes to help offset the costs of this.

Got it stripped down to more or less bare metal. I'll probably have to cut a bit off the fork but that will all be determined later since I haven't order and threadless headset or stem yet. Now to find someone that carries the paint I want and find out if I can take apart the form to paint it.
2013-05-06

Picked up a threadless stem, seat post and BMX seat (needs recovering) today. Since all the parts ive gotten are blac, looks like that's gonna be my secondary color rather than copper.

Re: The Mojito - Now with paint!!

Finally found the pain I wanted. It's called Krylon Glitter Blast, the color is Lucky Green. Only down side is that it's rather textured when it goes on so I'll have put on several coats of clear and then try to smooth it down. Did grey primer, followed by Krylon aluminum, followed by Krylon Irish Green and then the Glitter Blast.

bike1.jpeg

bike2.jpeg

bike3.JPG

Couldn't figure how to take the Manitou apart so I just masked off the suspension part.

Might be all that gets done for a couple weeks. I leave for a conference next weekend in Montreal and have two presentations that have to be submitted by Friday for it.

Re: The Mojito- Now with paint!

Love that glitter! I may have to break out some of that when I build out my Screamer.

Looks great!

Re: The Mojito- Build on hold for nerd stuff

Build goes on hold for a week while I go to Montreal for a conference. Yeah, rough life... I know.

Back from Canadia and last layer of clear coat is done.
bike4.JPG

Need to get a threadless headset and then I can start throwing it together. Still not sure about the wheels yet but I've got enough pairs laying around that I can get it rolling while I mull it over.

8) HEY TURN DOWN THAT PAINT!! HAHAHA SWEET JOB BUDDY! RIP IT UP AND GTB!! PEACE

is it just me or dose metal flake green get xtra cool points! sweet paint Dude

Troy

Thanks guys, I was kind of inspired by the Fast and Loud episode when they built the Gas Monkey gasser.
gallery_photos-large_image-551.jpg

That and I've never seen a green metal flake bike in Va Beach. The Krylon Glitterblast paint is a bit of a PITA to work with because it tends to jam up the nozzle so once you start spraying you pretty much just have to keep going until the can is empty. It goes on with some texture also so I went over it once with a clear finish and then used steel wool to smooth it down and went back over it with clear. Should look pretty good with the gloss black I'm doing the rest of the components in.

Mmm! MInty fresh.

BTW, Testors used to have that color in model paint; they called it "emerald green". I painted a couple of models with it.

They may still have it; it's only been a few years since I used it. I think it was 1977 or so. :lol:

Latest posts

Back