The Mutt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here is a before picture of my bike. It's a Columbia of unknown year and I bought it at a swap meet this spring for $30. The main reason I bought it is because I liked the springer. This is pretty much how I got the bike except for the handlebars and seat. The primer was already layed on! I'm a tall guy so the handlebars were a must. The second picture is a mock up of my mens frame conversion that I'm going to be doing.
IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

The biggest and best part of this build is positively going to be this hub I just got today. I've been waiting for this sucker since spring and it finally became available. Thanks Debbie (Bikeworldusa)! It's the new 8 speed Nexus internal gear hub. The reason for the hub is I really want this bike to be my main ride. The brake is the heavy duty version of the roller brake.
HU7860.jpg

BR7228.jpg

tnt1,
I've already asked about it in the contest discussion thread.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... &start=105
Look about halfway down this page and read the next page too.

I am not changing the dimensions of the bike or altering any geometry. I have no problem bowing out if it is a problem and i will if there is too much controversy over this. I am building this bike for myself so it really does not matter to me. I highly doubt I would win anyway with all of the tough competition we have here............ Plus I'm honestly not doing anything to the bike just for the sake of winning, I'm just building it the way I want it whether people like it/vote on it or not.

Truth be told///

I like it and it should stay in the build off. Carefully consider keeping the original chainguard. The one it came with says 50's, the other says 30's so depending on the time period you are after or the paint job you have in mind the chainguard is like oa tank on a motorcycle - it can make or break a build. Lets see what you come up with!

Joe

Thanks for the comments Joe! As for the chainguard it's way too early in the build to be making that decision. I'm not really trying to portray any specific time period, Just trying to mix and match parts to come up with something cool. A also have one of those repro 1950 something columbia racks for the back which I'm going to try. I also have some peaked fenders or some round fenders I could cut up and make into something cool.

Kustom Kreator said:
I'm not really trying to portray any specific time period, Just trying to mix and match parts to come up with something cool.quote]

that is what a true Rat is so do what you want not what the "rules" say.
if this bike is going to be your daily rider do what makes it pop for YOU..

hats off to you bro stick to your guns.

frame

I didnt mean to make any one mad I just thought they said no frame mods its cool with me since Im not gonna be in the build off cant figure how to post pictures :oops:

Re: frame

tnt1 said:
I didnt mean to make any one mad I just thought they said no frame mods its cool with me since Im not gonna be in the build off cant figure how to post pictures :oops:

in the rules it says no altering on the original frame strukture, but also that any parts can be added and attached as pleased, including welding. And since you are not altering the original frame and is just putting on a part by welding, I think there is no violation of the rules. thats just my thoughts... Great bike!

I can definitely see where it's "bending the rules" a little but most people seem ok with it probably since I'm not altering the dinensions by stretching it, raking it out etc. Just to clarify I will also be removing the top parallel tube. With the frame I'm shooting for the look of a mens bike of the same brand and era. The problem is buying one with a springer is costly. I've got a cool tank idea which I hope works.

cman, The tube is part of the framework of a trampoline that a friend of mine trash picked.

okey, but to take of the upper bottomtube would be breaking the rules... I don't think you should do that, it gives the bike a cool look and dimension, think before you cut that of!

I like it John!

Bend the rules until you break them...heh.

And you have the right mindset too.

Build it for YOURSELF,not crowd approval.

Latest posts

Back