The Orange Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After completely missing the last buildoff, I think I'll give this one a try. Been considering a klunker-style build for a while. The frame will be Hemi Orange with Black forks. I'm starting with the Phat frame I picked up a few weeks ago. Wheels are a set of Araya with high flange hubs I've had for a while now. I'm not completely set on the forks and bars just yet. The question is single speed freewheel, or should I use this Shimano 3-speed w/coaster brake I picked up recently? Any thoughts?

BTW what's the deadline?

DSC00751.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

1st of Dec., that looks reel good. use the 3 speed if ya want to go back to that style. thats what they used when this started. i think it was a single speed w/ coaster but the 3 sp would be kool. least ya would have some other gears to use.

Outlaw 8)

3 speed it is. I guess I'll be relacing my first wheel. Does anyone know anything about the Shimano 3 speed hubs? Can I use a Sturmey shifter/cable? Any help would be appreciated.

Freewheel gone, 3speed in! I got started last night and could not quit until I got it all laced. Spent the better part of an hour tonight trying to true the wheel. It's still got a pretty good wobble, but I'm pretty proud of the job I did considering it was my first time. Now i need to find a shifter and cable for the hub.

Also, I'm trying to locate a bmx style 26" fork. Anybody have one for sale or trade?

Re: The Orange Klunk (new pics 10/23)

I found some cool bars from Felt at a local shop. They were more than I wanted to spend, but I sold a couple of bikes on cl over the weekend so I could justify the purchase. They are a little too long, so I'm gonna cut about an inch and a half off each end. The mock up is basically done. Will tear it down this weekend and get it ready for paint. Orange frame, black forks and bars.
DSC00778.jpg

The big platform bmx pedals are cool, but I think some old school mtb will fit the theme a little better. I'm sure that I have a set that will work.
DSC00779.jpg

i also need a shifter and cable for this.....
DSC00782.jpg

It's a Shimano 3SC. Anybody have any ideas on what will work?

do you have a shifter yet?

it looks like it is a standard threaded shift cable would work. It looks a lot like the bendix 2 speed i had on an old Jaguar.

* and I love the bars!

Re: The Orange Klunk (paint pics)

Started the paint job last weekend.

Primer
DSC00783-1.jpg

Dupli-Color Hemi Orange Engine Enamel
DSC00784-1.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

The color seemed kind of bland. So, I layed down a little of this glitter effect before 3 coats of clear this weekend. What a difference! New pics soon.
DSC00786.jpg

Looking good...
Keep up the good work...

ponytailmike
mike

Looking forward to seeing the colour with the glitter clearcoat! And thanks for taking photos by the pool, here it's freezing outside... :lol:

Latest posts

Back