THE PREFECT BIKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diggin this bike. Good bang for the buck on a 8spd Shimano Interal Hub.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... press8.htm
ex8slvmen_600.jpg

That is pretty cool Clancy....gotta love that Nexus 8 speed hub!

Wondering how much different an aluminum frame is as opposed to a steel frame.

I know that the steel frames absorb some of the vibrations and bumps.

Wondering if the aluminum bikes would be that annoying to ride.

I dunno about aluminum. Mine are all steel. But you are correct about a harsher ride. There are not many choices out there for Steel. Jamis and maybe Kona

Rat Rod said:
That is pretty cool Clancy....gotta love that Nexus 8 speed hub!

I think the ride quality will be affected more by tires, saddle, and suspension(or lack thereof) than frame material in my experience. Even with aluminum it depends somewhat on the heat treat in my experience, my 6061 Redline frame rides as smooth or smother than any of my cruisers, my old 7000 series GT Avalanche hardtail was a bit stiff but not outrageously more than steel frames. I ended up getting a suspended seatpost on my steel frame 29er cuz I got used to a full susser aluminum MTB and the ride felt harsher than I wanted especially on rough uphills.

Bottom line - test ride.

I just picked up this pair of GT Windstreams off ebay for $75. :D From what I can tell these were sold in the late 90s
Windstream001.jpg

Overall they are in good nick, the brakes, bottom end, headset are all mint, the shifters and and tubes are dead. The plan is to rebuild them with my girl, as a his and hers kinda deal, and they're a great compromise between a cool beach cruiser and a more practical bike for doing the whole bike path/picnic thing. Most likely will run a single chainring up front and the keep the gears at the back and run em as 5 speeds. The pic below is a factory bike, gives you a much better idea of the potential of them, and the frame that will lend itself to a nice retro style. My girls will probably be mint green with full guards and whitewalls. For mine Im looking at matte black and whitewalls, and the rack for picnic goodies.

image.aspx

Daggy eh?
Windstream006.jpg

Internal brake cable from the factory - cool!
Windstream004.jpg

Ive also just finished the make over of my old Giant aluminium hardtail into a single speeder. For me this a great bike to give a good old thrash in the burbs/city, or hitting the bike paths, and I can throw it off the kerbs with abandon. Honestly I can see this bike getting more seat time than my dual suspension mountain bike or my cruiser, its just a fun bike to ride.

In terms of the steel vs. aluminium bike thing, I wouldnt get too concerned about it for general street riding, it becomes more of an issue doing the rougher stuff on dirt.

Before
30aug021.jpg

After
Complete007.jpg

Complete006.jpg

Complete005.jpg

Complete004.jpg

Rat Rod said:

If you have a choice , would go with steel. With aluminum bikes, you really feel every bump and knock. IMO it the difference of riding balloon sized tires versus road skinnies. I have been looking at the Surly line of commuters. Good luck with the search.

http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/

Regarding the steel vs aluminum thing, as a few have already mentioned, there's far more to ride quality than just the frame material. Tubing diameter, frame geometry and construction details etc all play a part in how "harsh" or "plush" a frame rides. Wheel and tire choice will also have a huge affect ride quality.

As an example, last summer I test road a Kona Kapu - that's their old school lugged steel road bike - and it was the most bone jarring, harshest riding bike I've ever ridden. I also road a Kona Honky-Tonk and a Surly LHT. The Honky-Tonk almost came home with me and the LHT left me completely unimpressed. All are steel framed and all have very different personalities.

My all aluminum commuter, which according to some people shouldn't even be ridable because *gasp* it's not steel, is quite plush by comparison.

A cheapo aluminum bike will however, probably ride quite harshly but that's more to do with being cheap and poorly designed. Cheap steel bikes can ride like crap too. I recently ditched an old lugged steel Nishiki that had not only the harsh ride, but also the structural integrity of a wet noodle.

I want a full carbon fiber Dutch bike - that'll tick everybody off :mrgreen:

-Mp

My Electra RatRod is steel, and pretty heavy to push around.
My Electra Ghostrider is aluminum, and even though it's a lot longer and has heavier tires + triple-tree fork, a fair bit lighter.
Both have a 3-speed Nexus + coasterbrake.

The Ghostrider is a lighter ride alltogether. I just love how it seems to ride under the radar, I mean force of wind. With my RatRod I always seem to be head-on, feels like biking uphill all the time. Funny thing is, because of the 3" tires on the Ghostrider, everybody thinks it must be harder to push, but as long as the tires are properly inflated, it's a pretty fast bike 8) But re: bumpiness, it's all in the seat ! I have no troubles with brick roads since I put a gel-seat with decent suspension on the Ghostrider, my RatRodseat is a lot bumpier...all I have to say really: get a proper seat, and let the bike do the shakin' :mrgreen:

But this is about BMX bikes, so I'll get back under my rock... :lol:

I'm not sure if you're set on a new bike or not, but there are lots of great used MTB's from Trek, Spec, Gary Fisher, etc. that can be EASILY made more comfortable and faster on the road. A low end aluminum bike from a large manufacturer is almost always a great value for performance as they want newbs to have a great experience and come back for an upgrade. Add some slicks, fenders, and a taller stem and you're set to go in any weather. Here's a bike I built for my old man from my GF's old MTB and various spare parts (plus a butchered pair of winter boots).

One speed, but could easily be geared.

Spring2009006.jpg

The Perfect Bike, first it would have to be light. I have a GT Karakoram Mountain Bike, for a steel (crome molly) frame its 10 lbs lighter that any other same size bike I have. Like what "hewey" did to his Giant you could do to yours. In fact if I dont sell mine, I might do that to my GT.

Have you found the perfect bike yet?? This is what I would like to suggest. The Salsa Vaya, I got a chance to build and ride this bike today at work. It costs a lot of money but its a really great frame. Its Steel Chromo. Disk Brakes. Large Headtube instead of Stem. 700c Large Wheels and Fenders.
bikes_vaya2.jpg

RRB, comfort or speed? Pick one
I think what you're looking for is something like the Surly Karate Monkey
SurlyKM002.jpg

Such a broad question though, was it supposed to be bait for a steel vs aluminum debate?

Bettleguise said:
Such a broad question though, was it supposed to be bait for a steel vs aluminum debate?

Nah..it was asked back when I was all jazzed up about a commuter style bike....tried it and moved on. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back