The Racing Pedigree

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think he is kidding, and I am sure he is not the only one who feels that way.

I get the feeling this thread was written with you in mind: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=69084

Feel free to disregard the advice from members on here who have experience of what works and what does not, and what is safe and what is not, but it is on your head when it fails, and you crash and you and the poor old lady crossing the road that you hit, both end up in wheelchairs for the rest of your lives... Imagine this, you are in a wheelchair and the family of the woman is taking you to court for building and riding an unsafe vehicle, not only that, the police are after you for the same reason and you will probably spend time in jail.

This is not a game! The motors you are talking about using are more powerful than some real motorbike engines, have you ever looked at the frame and suspension on a small motorbike? They are made of far thicker tubing than a standard bike and you will notice bars are not just welded to each other like a butt weld, they spread out and over lap so that the forces acting on the welds are in shear, they spend years getting it right to work with the lightest frames they can, a single builder can not devote that much time and money to a design, so it is always better to err on the side of safety and use stronger tubing, and well thought out joining methods. (If you do not understand what designing a joint with the welds in shear means, then you do not have the knowledge to build a bike with the motors you are intending on using.) Also on rake and trail, it is apparent that you do not understand the forces at work, without a decent knowledge of how it all works you would be better converting a second hand motorbike front to work with your frame, just remember to mount them on the same angle as they were on the motorbike!

Unfortunatly it does not appear you have the skills or equipment to build a bike with this kind of horsepower and capable of this much speed, that is why it is constantly suggested to you to use a smaller chinese kit motor, they are designed to work with a standard bike and are still capable of going fairly fast, without overstressing a standard bicycle frame...

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to stop you from building something dangerously unsafe. :wink:

Luke.

So you mean to tell me all the DOM tubing ive ordered and used, the rake on the head tube im going to change, the new fork im going to build, the bracing im going to do, and the new parts im going to get is not going to work?

To quote you,

"You're kidding right?"

To quote myself,

"Unfortunatly it does not appear you have the skills or equipment to build a bike with this kind of horsepower and capable of this much speed."

Feel free to ignore me if you wish, I am after all only a fully qualified Metal Fabricator who has won awards for my design, engineering and fabrication skills...

Luke.

RollinLow is correct, only concerned about a failure that could end very badly...

Even if your frame tubing is correct, I have some concerns about your joins in the tube, from what I can see in the photos the preperation has left rather large gaps in places that you filled with weld, they will not be strong joints.
I don't know what horsepower your combined motor outputs are but it might be worth considering stronger wheels. When Cadel Evans won the Tour De France it was worked out he was putting out 400watts of power to achieve the speeds he was doing, even if the strongest rider got on a bike and gave it everything he had output would not exceed 1000watts... 1000watts is equivalent to 1.34 horsepower, this is the figure a bike is designed for, this includes wheels, the kind of power you want to use may just rip the spokes out of the rim, collapse bearing cups, unseat tires...

Really as soon as you go above the little two stroke bike conversion kits, any bicycle parts would be well beyond their design limits...

Once again, this is not an attack on you or your bike, just a concerned fellow builder trying to help...

Luke.

Im using. 120 wall dom I'm getting a heavy duty cruiser wheels, schwalbe fat Franks I'm using a36 plate steel for gussets and bracing I'm going all out for this. I'm running seven hp.

I too will try to make the same point. If your riding a bike down the street as fast as you
can pedal and it breaks and you fall down. You might break something and at the least
you will skin a bunch of places. If your riding a bike at 40 or 50mph and your frame collapses
you will probably die. Its not like a scooter that might fall over at that speed , its more like
tubes will dig into the pavement and then stop really fast....You won't . We all look at your
welding skills and know it won't hold together. We all can weld. You need to take a welding
course ,before you trust your life to what you can't do. Your doing the same as welding 5 pipes
together and walking to the end on a 3 story building and trusting your life to your welds. We
weren't born welders. It takes practice. Just because I can go buy a scalpel and some bandages
dosen't mean I can do brain surgery.
I am just being realistic, not trying to be mean. Learn how to do it before you hurt yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycl ... ba&vxp=mtr
Why chance it, buy something proven.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson ... 38&vxp=mtr
maybe this one is more to your taste.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-HUSQVARNA- ... 58&vxp=mtr
This one looks fun :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRAME-Assembly- ... 5d&vxp=mtr
Pretty good price for a very strong frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-YAMAHA-YZ80J ... 53&vxp=mtr
the buy it now price is pretty low... you could than customize from a very strong solid base.

Rich

Tubing thickness was just my initial question if the thickness wasn't there the rest is unimportant. next I was gonna point him in the direction of a tubing notcher from harbor freight it is cheap less then 50bux . It will help a lot of the figment issues. It will allow you to tack everything togeather over needing large amounts of welding to just hold it togeather. Most of all don't rush. These things should take months an years to finish the rite way. The extra time you take making sure your welds are good and everything is safe will be time you wouldn't be spending in the hospital.

well , im not going to lie, in three place i did a filler weld, but when you dont have hundreds of dollars to spend on tubing and the only thing you can do is either use a paper template to cut and miter tubing or v cut and grind it round, you have to do it. I'm sorry ill fix the mistakes as much as i can, thats a promise, but i have spent to much money came to far to start over. So I will fix the mistakes. And btw I learned to weld from the best, Mr. Dunson showed me how to gas weld, in which im better at, so smite me if you must. I make do with what I can.

RollinLow said:
Everything that has been said to you is not ment to be mean.

Yes. I'm not good at writing my emotions. :D

I must admit, his ambition is AWESOME! Clearly, he isn't going to give up, even when people are giving constructive criticism. :D Huge thumbs up for that. I'm also really excited to see a fella get this far.

I respect that!

First, do this for us. Build that bike so you can pedal it around. Welding a bottom bracket shell on will be no problem. Get that thing rolling, pedal it around, and have your buddy take a picture of you with a big grin.

Next. Sell your 7hp engine for $130. This will give you enough $$ to put an engine kit on and terrorize the block.

Then sell it to any one of your buddies that is offering your a bunch of money.

Use that money to buy some more tubing, another engine (there are literally millions of them out there, you will find another) and build the one you really want!

It costs money to learn. Student loans will prove that later on in life. Don't sweat the money you are spending now. This is the price of learning.

Yes sir but my dad said since I brought the engine with the money he gave me, I better not sell it(he is dead serious) so now I have to use it, draw back number 1

All right ladies and gents, after talking with my dad, I can't sell the engine
But he never said I can't temporarily put the engine on the bike and use it. So that's what I'm going to do, so I can use the engine for my cafe racer build.

Alright, as promised, i fixed the mistakes to the absolute best of my ability. So I cut the tubes the welds out and reshaped the tubes to a very close fishmouth, then i tacked welded the tubes in place and filled gaps with some 1/4 steel flat bar and then tacked those in place. Once I did that, i welded it together, then put some more tubing in place and welded it. I added a huge gusset in place to hold everything together. Only downfall, my gringer broke so i cant grind down any welds. But before it broke, I changed the rake and trail.

new pics
20130227_201128_zps2bee795b.jpg
20130228_200959_zps7c0233d0.jpg
20130228_201018_zps8b8ac91c.jpg
20130302_153210_zps09e1fe72.jpg
20130302_154831_zps9c1151cd.jpg
20130302_162740_zpsc6df28a5.jpg

looks terrible but bonded strong, hate i jacked up the welds tho.
20130302_171458_zps5fa3bf83.jpg
20130302_171510_zps864c7ad4.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
curtisfox said:
This guy is doing a awesome job of braceing. Something for everyone to see and do. Great ideas.............Curt
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45195
There is some awesome gusetting shown there, going to be a very strong bike...

Luke.

Prolly a little over kill but good ideas for smaller one that would be just as efective............Curt

Latest posts

Back