The Regulator

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am mid process on this one already. I started it this afternoon.

Our camera was MIA last weekend when I was collecting the parts, so it will be somewhat limited in progress pics.

Here is the parts list:

Mongoose cantilever frame w/ American BB shell, canti posts and built in derailuer hanger.
RST 1" suspension fork
Deore XT 7 speed rear hub w/ Sun rim
Deore DX front hub w/ Matrix rim
Kenda K Rad 26X2.3 blackwall knobbies
1" threadless stem with off road motorcycle bars.
1" seat post w/ integrated clamp and WTB SST seat.
Most likely a Deore DX rear derailuer

I am shooting for a top mount thumb shifter with Deore XT servo wave levers and canti brakes.

The crankset is undecided right now. I was thinking of using a Suntour Superbe Pro or Deore DX set I have with a euro conversion BB. Either way I don't think I am going to run a front derailuer.

This is what I started with:

P1010039-1.jpg

It is now ridable.

I have not tracked down the thumb shifter yet, so it still has grip shift. I did find an old Shimano Bio Pace crankset though. I had to remove the inner ring to make it work with the euro conversion kit I had, but no big deal as I was not running a front derailuer anyway. I found some of my old cage pedals with toe clips and put them on too.

It still has a SRAM rear derailuer on it too. I will swap that out when (if?) I find the shifter.

Scott ATV grips wound up on the dirtbike bars, can't decide if I want the pad on the cross bar or not. Stuck with the V brakes too, as there aren't any cable stops on the frame...which I never thought about. It's been a long time since I put cantis on a bike on purpose.

I am sending my son out for a test ride on it and then we'll get some pics up now that I found the camera and the sun is shining here again.

We came up with the name from a Clutch song. I think Clutch is the best band you've never heard on the radio, check them out, there are a ton of their songs/videos on Youtube. .

62H

you got some cool parts on that thing!

Thanks Blink. We have a ton of parts laying around...comes in handy during build offs.

I want to build one that actually fits me now. The looks is awesome, I get sick of diamond frmaed MTB's. I think I need to find a large sized Trek Clyde frame.

Finished pics

I guess I was too late to post the finished pics in the official finished thread, but here are some better outdoor shots. No changes since my last post, just some better scenery.

Whoever suggested this build off...THANKS, Klunkers rule! Lots of great work by all of you, again...as usual.

62H

KlunkerFinished002.jpg

KlunkerFinished003.jpg

KlunkerFinished001.jpg

Latest posts

Back