The Silver Surfer - FINISHED! (BOTEN)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could paint the front tubes with red scallops and have the rest of the frame polished up with red accents!
I'm thinking of doing some engine turned design on the frame and fenders along with the silver paint. I'm going to try a practice piece later this week to see how it looks. Basically, it's going to have this look along with high metallic silver paint.

Last edited:
That would be cool.
I'm digging the Tel Aviv Police Special speedo, but shouldn't it read right to left?

Bike is looking awesome!:thumbsup: Im a big fan of engine turning, It should look great with the silver and maybe a red pinstripe...
Thanks, I'm not going crazy this year, I've just been wanting to do something with this bike and figured BOTEN is the perfect reason. I'm thinking of doing some engine turning on the sides of the tubes and down the center of the fenders then paint the rest a high metallic silver and I'll probably separate the two with a red pinstripe.

That would be cool.
I'm digging the Tel Aviv Police Special speedo, but shouldn't it read right to left?
A buddy of mine has that exact same Stewart Warner Police Special speedo in his Bonneville Salt Flat car. I'd love to have one but I would have to sell a kidney to afford it. :arghh:

I fell asleep a few days and see what I miss... I fourth the engine turn idea, you know I'm all about making a simple project harder for the sake of coolness :headbang:

This is just turning into a sweet project Bum dude.

I fell asleep a few days and see what I miss... I fourth the engine turn idea, you know I'm all about making a simple project harder for the sake of coolness :headbang:

This is just turning into a sweet project Bum dude.
I noticed your build keeps getting further down the list. I hope this means you're getting the deuce running?

Haven't done much lately on the bike, but over the weekend I picked up a new sissy bar. I got one in black so it'll be easier to repaint silver. It's a pain trying to get the chrome off all the other parts that I'll be painting. Anyway, I like it.

Yesterday I practiced doing some engine turning on the chain guard. This isn't the final look yet, I'm just trying to figure out the spacing of the circles and if the process I'm using is going to work or not. I like the look so far but I need to offset each row so the circles don't line up straight up and down and I also need to space them out further. I miss measured and made them too close to each other. Oh well, it was just a practice run and now I know it's going to work.

Looking good. Listen to this as you keep going.

Wow, all the way back to page 4. I'm such a slacker! I have been slowly working on the bike. I'm in the process of removing all the chrome so I can paint it. Not fun!! Plus I'm still dealing with a blown out disk in my back that's pushing against my 'psychotic' nerve. Worst pain ever! It's going on 5 months now and I'm still at least 2 months out from the surgery. Gotta love the VA healthcare system. Welcome to government healthcare! Anyway, I'm going to try to get some primer on parts tonight then hopefully start the metallic silver this weekend. The frame is ready to paint but I'm going to try and do all the silver at one time. Pix will be coming soon. I will finish this bike!! Not matter what.

Welcome back from hibernation. Hope your back gets better.

Just caught this one,those bratz bikes make affordable little customizable rides.
Engine turning looks good,like the red and silver.

Doing some mock up before painting.

This is so cool as she sits! Love the bare frame...there's your silver...and the red mixed with a little chrome...so sweet! The 60's - 70's ramblers in the background fit the build too..now if we could just change the vehicles...

Yesterday I practiced doing some engine turning on the chain guard. This isn't the final look yet, I'm just trying to figure out the spacing of the circles and if the process I'm using is going to work or not. I like the look so far but I need to offset each row so the circles don't line up straight up and down and I also need to space them out further. I miss measured and made them too close to each other. Oh well, it was just a practice run and now I know it's going to work.

For noobs like me, how is this effect achieved? Looks killer!

For noobs like me, how is this effect achieved? Looks killer!
When I do the final one, I'll do pic by pic directions on how I did it. This will be the way I found works well and not the only way.

This is so cool as she sits! Love the bare frame...there's your silver...and the red mixed with a little chrome...so sweet! The 60's - 70's ramblers in the background fit the build too..now if we could just change the vehicles...
I like the bare metal look on this bike too but I have a vision for it. It will still have some bare metal on it but that's for a later post. As for the cars, if I would have taken a picture facing the other direction you would have seen one of my old cars that fit the era.

Just caught this one,those bratz bikes make affordable little customizable rides.
Engine turning looks good,like the red and silver.
Thanks. I did some grinding last night and got the chain guard and front fender ready for the engine turning. Maybe this weekend I'll get those done to show next week.

Latest posts

Back