The Silver Surfer - FINISHED! (BOTEN)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty cool I will have to try that sometime
Thanks. This would be much easier on a drill press, which I just picked one up from a buddy but I haven't brought it to my house yet. If I get the drill press home this weekend I might re-do the chain guard.

I just need to grind the chrome off the rear fender, polish and engine turn both fenders, bolt it all together, then finish repairing and painting the surfboard. Almost there!!:rockout:

There is gonna be a ton of light catchers on this build. You'll definitely need to do a video to truly show off the engine turning and the flake.
:113:

Wow, blink around here and suddenly you're on page 3.

I spent two days looking for the bearings for my front wheel. I had a cup full of loose bearings that I had no idea where they came from. After two days it hit me, the front bearings were not in a bearing holder, (or whatever they're called) that mysterious cup of loose bearings are what I've been looking for! Honestly, this is the first bike I've worked on that used loose bearings. I guess you just grease them up and hope they stay in place. :crazy:

Last edited:
Anyway, It's been so hot and humid I can only work on the bike in the middle of the night and on weekends. Man I can't wait till winter!! I did manage to finish the front fender last night, It was too hot to even take a picture, I'm going to try and finish the rear fender tonight. Then it's just assembly time and finish up the surfboard. I might actually finish this year!!!

Honestly, this is the first bike I've worked on that used loose bearings. I guess you just grease them up and hope they stay in place. :crazy:

Here's how I do it. I put a lot of grease inside the bearing cup in the hub. Then I grab a small screwdriver and put a dab of grease on the tip to pick up one of the balls with and stick that one in the hub then repeat that for the rest of the bearings on one side. Then I put the axle in with a cone contacting the bearings I just put in. Then I flip the wheel over and do the other side and screw the other cone on.

Make sure you count the balls and only use half on the first side. Sometimes you can fit in an extra but you will end up short on the other side.

I should have just stuck to my original plan of painting the frame silver. I have everything done for the bike and went to do assembly this morning and noticed some of the bare metal under the clearcoat has rust spots on it. It is so humid down here the clearcoat is trapping humidity under it and causing the frame to rust.

So I removed the clearcoat and the rust spots on the frame and went to prime it so I could paint it but the clearcoat and primer reacted and ruined the whole paint job. Now I'm starting over by removing all of the paint and back to bare metal so I can reprime it then paint it silver!

Thats happened to me, got the whole frame painted looking great but I used different clear. It cracked all over, had to start all over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thats happened to me, got the whole frame painted looking great but I used different clear. It cracked all over, had to start all over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I could understand if I used a different brand, but the clear, primer and paint are all the same brand acrylic enamel. I hate the weather here on the coast!!! :mad:

Latest posts

Back