The Steamroller (BOX)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I hope you like it, I would love to see what you guys came up with.

We never made it past the design stage for the fork before life put the build on the back burner. But honestly when I look back at out original concept I kind of want to scrap the whole frame and just start over from scratch.

I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of it.

An early attempt I did a few years back, might give you some ideas on your build.
My Outlaw build will use a similar set up, but only on the rear...

8283871276_9299d50816_z.jpg

8282809679_79abd92bb0_z.jpg

8242667697_ebbb380afd_z.jpg

Luke.

An early attempt I did a few years back, might give you some ideas on your build.
My Outlaw build will use a similar set up, but only on the rear...

Luke.

Wow, that is wild. I love how you put the sprocket and brake disc on the opposite side of the frame in the rear. That is a great idea. Our rear solution was extremely crude and basically made the bike a fixie... which is not really ideal with a 30lb wheel on it. :D

For my project with the 1936 chev wheels, I was originally thinking of using trailer hubs and stubs, something like this (but five stud)...

2580b2fa01620f3e93f4d562b723f368.image.745x550.jpg

I was going to just weld the stubs to the stay. But I decided to try the original Chev drum brakes and stubs instead. Hopefully I'll be able to get them to work giving me good braking.

You can also get the trailer hubs and stubs that bolt on. This picture shows the bolt on stub axle...

Bolt%20On%20Axle.jpg

Would someting like that work for you?

Glen.

For my project with the 1936 chev wheels, I was originally thinking of using trailer hubs and stubs, something like this (but five stud)...

2580b2fa01620f3e93f4d562b723f368.image.745x550.jpg

I was going to just weld the stubs to the stay. But I decided to try the original Chev drum brakes and stubs instead. Hopefully I'll be able to get them to work giving me good braking.

You can also get the trailer hubs and stubs that bolt on. This picture shows the bolt on stub axle...

Bolt%20On%20Axle.jpg

Would someting like that work for you?

Glen.
Glenn the axle stubs in that kit are exactly what I was going to use for my single-sided fork I'm just going to machine my own hub to adapt to the room I'm using

Well we actally used a trailer hub for our bike for the rear too. But we didn't use trailer bearings. We actually cut a one peice crank bottom bracket off of a frame then we cut off one of the crank arms. Then we welded a sprocket to the bottom bracket, welded the bottom bracket to the hub, and welded the other crank arm to the frame. In retrospect it was a very "creative" solution, but it did work although it definitely wasn't pretty.

I found an old picture, and I just went out and took one of the frame hanging in the rafters of the garage.

vxrpAv8.jpg

0SfL2Y8.jpg

0SfL2Y8.jpg

Interesting, were you going to use both frames in the first pic?

Interesting, were you going to use both frames in the first pic?

In the first pic the frame in the background belongs to my big green military chopper. This was going to be a second bike of similar design but with the afore mentioned single sided frame and fork.

This was the idea...

aSlBmx5.jpg

Sorry the picture is so small, I can't find the original picture only this tiny version.

That looks cool you should try to finish it!

I really like the idea of doing the sideways fork for the front but do you know how you are planning on connecting it at the top? Just curious because we tossed around a twin tube fork design too but we never really came up with anything that we were happy with for attaching it to the head tube.

Yeah I am running into time issues as well. I still have some parts to find. I probably won't have time to start working on the frame till June

To anyone following my build, I probable will not have any updates till next weekend. I am doing the family thing this weekend for mothers-day and traveling to Rochester NY next week for work. Sorry for the slow pace but things should pickup when I get back.

My idea is to build a trike with three 18"x10" rims. I am thinking it will look a lot like the big-wheel I had as a kid. Here re a few photos and a list of ideas, this being my first build on a bike ever we will see how many I can actually pull off :happy:

The seat will be down on the platform in the back so you sit down in between the back wheels
The original seat and seat post will be removed and more bracing added for stength
Front will be raked out to give it a chopper look and bring the handlebars closer to the new seat location
Using a go-kart axle in the back with a diff
replacing the jackshaft hub with a nexus 3 speed hub
Disk brakes on the back, either in both back rims or a single on the axle (prob a setup off a small dirtbike or 4wheeler)
I want to machine my own triple tree front forks (possible a single sided front fork)
fenders for the back wheels
a small trailer hitch on back (I want to build a small trailer for it after the buildoff)
Still thinking about colors, leaning towards a royal blue with silver and pearl white details or satin black with purple and silver details. I am open to suggestions (anything but pink and yellow)

This is a lot to get done hope I can do it and make half the ideas I have work!!

Good luck to everyone, I am exited to stop watching and finally participate!:dance2:

I think this is a Worksman frame, I got it at Heartville Flea Market 2 years ago for $30

The Rims, I got all 4, $100

Something like this ...... maybe
frame is awsome

To anyone following my build, I probable will not have any updates till next weekend. I am doing the family thing this weekend for mothers-day and traveling to Rochester NY next week for work. Sorry for the slow pace but things should pickup when I get back.
Looking forward to when you get back to it!

Luke.

updates coming Monday!! I was able to work on my bike today, started the modifications of the frame. I am doing back out to work on the frame tomorrow and should have a video update and some pix to post Monday! It feels good to finaly get out to my shop and play ....

Amen brother, I don't get much shop time myself but when I do I'm about as giddy as Randee of the redwood.

Latest posts

Back