The story of Clanky or How to ruin a MTB on a budget

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol already was... Got confused about the mix of parts, are those vees squeezing the front, with cantis out back? Is the headset stock? I don't think there was too long a period where threadless was used with cantis

It crossed my mind that you might volunteer to research factory photos :grin:
I doubt he left this one "factory"
tomac5830c8c99f.jpg

This one might be closer
Giant ATX 1.jpg

Lol already was... Got confused about the mix of parts, are those vees squeezing the front, with cantis out back? Is the headset stock? I don't think there was too long a period where threadless was used with cantis
Had cantis on the back originally. The V's on the front are not stock. I think they replaced cantis, but it's all gone fuzzy now.
I think I was about 14 when the Vs went on and there may or may have not have been a lot of self prescribed medication between then and the lucid fellow who stands before you today.

Headset is original 1 1/8 threadless, fork and stem are not.

I'm pretty sure shimano stx (maybe stx rc, depending on the year) was the stock trim for those giants. That's my favorite, not quite as exotic as xtr, a little bit tougher.

I doubt he left this one "factory"
View attachment 141684
This one might be closer
View attachment 141683
I saw that second pic in my search, but I'm 97% sure mine never had twist grip shifters on it, despite what bikepedia says.
I have a distinct memory of pushing the indexed thumb shifter then high tailing it to get away from some older kids on bmxs. That's right, I was the one weird kid with a mountain bike in the era when everyone between age 8 and 19 had a bmx.

Here's some of my favorite stickers, in case I end up removing them. So, I can come back here and reminisce, likea bike nerd photo album.

CTD. Chicago TailDraggers :cool:
20201015_160848.jpg

Just don't
20201015_160929.jpg

This was a great ride
20201015_162406.jpg

Particularly poignant right now...
20201015_160908.jpg

Get a grip. Also timely advice.
20201015_162340.jpg

D&D :nerd:
20201015_160857.jpg

More less nerdy than the last one?
HTML5/CSS3 :dance2:
20201015_160839.jpg

Best place in Chicago to get your haircut. Ask for Devin.
20201015_162317.jpg

Don't leave Iowa without visiting this place!
20201015_162255.jpg

I saw that second pic in my search, but I'm 97% sure mine never had twist grip shifters on it, despite what bikepedia says.
I have a distinct memory of pushing the indexed thumb shifter then high tailing it to get away from some older kids on bmxs. That's right, I was the one weird kid with a mountain bike in the era when everyone between age 8 and 19 had a bmx.
Either of these jog your memory?
7i689i9me.jpg
Shimano-STX-Trigger-Shifters-7-Speed-7s-Window.jpg

The RC was a later version, a little bit higher quality

I doubt thumbies (friction shifters) were original to that bike, but if that's what you want, they actually work better than the ratchet stuff, especially twenty something years later. You'll probably want the Deore stuff. It's what I want for RockRat
ad_1602852097683.jpg

Last edited:
It would seem that your specific bike doesn't exist in factory form. Can't find a single unmolested version anywhere. Giant's alphabet soup naming format doesn't help either, I think first digit is frame number, the last two digits are trim levels, so an 830 would be similar to an 860, just different parts. Since I can't find stock pics, you'll just have to build it to john's specs.
unnamed.jpg

It would seem that your specific bike doesn't exist in factory form. Can't find a single unmolested version anywhere. Giant's alphabet soup naming format doesn't help either, I think first digit is frame number, the last two digits are trim levels, so an 830 would be similar to an 860, just different parts. Since I can't find stock pics, you'll just have to build it to john's specs.
View attachment 141729
There's also the added element that it was bought in Australia and may have had a different level of parts for that market.

Since I can't find stock pics, you'll just have to build it to john's specs.
In reality, it won't ever really be too authentic as I can't ride flat bars. I need something with a decent amount of rise in it otherwise my rat rod wrist complains at me.
Arm.jpg

So I'll probably end up with bmx bars again or something else decently moto looking.

Yup. Low speed, low side, shoulder was the first thing to hit the pavement. Almost no damage to the bike, cuz I took it all. Motorcycle injuries, recreational pharmacology, retro rat MTBs, this thread is the Venn diagram of Matti and Verrt. Got any punk records or comic books? Ever been to design school?

Yup. Low speed, low side, shoulder was the first thing to hit the pavement. Almost no damage to the bike, cuz I took it all. Motorcycle injuries, recreational pharmacology, retro rat MTBs, this thread is the Venn diagram of Matti and Verrt. Got any punk records or comic books? Ever been to design school?

200.gif

Latest posts

Back