The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shifter bracket fabrication
DSC_0318.JPG

DSC_0319.JPG

Looks a bit puny doesn't it?!

Here's the shifter and controller
DSC_0321.JPG

Well, it is an electric assisted bike, of course its having an electric shifter!
There is an output from the battery for lights etc, so I'll use that to power it. The output is 36 volts so I've ordered a drop down transformer to get the required 12volts. Hopefully the battery output will handle the current!
Oh and I've ordered a front light. Quite possibly the ugliest light out there! But I see potential :)

Here's the shifter and controller
View attachment 95539

Well, it is an electric assisted bike, of course its having an electric shifter!
There is an output from the battery for lights etc, so I'll use that to power it. The output is 36 volts so I've ordered a drop down transformer to get the required 12volts. Hopefully the battery output will handle the current!
Oh and I've ordered a front light. Quite possibly the ugliest light out there! But I see potential :)

I do hope you just didn’t order an AC transformer as that will not work with straight DC power coming from the battery’s. You will need a DC to DC step down power supply.

So do I win the competition for the ugliest light or what!!?

View attachment 95628
To be honest this looks in its own way awesome. It is very weird and sci-fi. I could very well picture it painted white on some crazy futuristic black and white bike.

The DC to dc converter arrived so I busied myself fitting the solenoid to the bracket I made
DSC_0329.JPG

It worked great, so with a short bracket I connected it to the gear chain....... And that's where the idea crashed! Lol
The solenoid just isn't strong enough to change gear. So I've put the gear shifter to the back of my mind for the moment. I can always try a solenoid from a car central locking system at a later point. To be honest though, having ridden this around a fair bit, the motor assist is so good you don't really need 1st or 2nd gear....

maybe fabricate some kind of leverage to have more force? or maybe even adding a spring that holds half the tention ? or replacing the spring inside the hub by a softer one and see if it still works? :39::nerd:

how you plan to make 2nd 3rd gear stops with a solenoid ? isent it gonna pull it from 1st to 3rd in one go?

I did design a way of keeping the 3 speed, but it involved 2 solenoids and got a bit messy. So I was, as you say, skipping 2nd.
I'm putting this idea away for the moment to use what little time I have to build the body.

Self employment has certainly started busy!

Did some more work on the front wheel cover today. I realised I'd made it a bit on the big side, so I've reduced it a little.
Using my bossing mallet and a flat tool made from an old car spring, I've been trying to smooth out the radius. Basically holding the mallet behind the low spots and "slapping" onto it.
DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

Latest posts

Back